rolled back to SL from Lion - have problems!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by psywzrd, Aug 23, 2011.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

So I'll keep this as short as possible. I upgraded my MB to Lion and hated it - lockups, sluggishness, computer going to sleep even though it's set to never go to sleep, etc. Contacted Apple and was walked through rolling back to Snow Leopard. Restored from a Time Machine backup but the only backup that was available to me was one that was from after I upgraded to Lion (not sure why since I have a Time Capsule and I have multiple backups but it is what it is). Anyway, once I restored from Time Machine, a bunch of "Lion" apps were installed back to my computer (Mission Control, Facetime that only works on Lion, etc. and, most importantly, a version of the App Store that will only work with Lion). Because of this and other issues, I need to go back to Lion but I can't because I can't open the App Store (when I do it tells me that the version I have will only work with 10.7 and later and I'm only on 10.6.8). I tried running the 10.6.8 combo fix from Apple's website which is supposed to contain the App Store as well but that didn't help.

How can I get back to Lion at this point? I tried to roll back to an older version of the App Store via Time Machine but that didn't work either. It's like whatever Lion files are left are wreaking havoc on my SL install and I can't even get back to Lion to fix these problems. Staying at SL isn't an option either. Please help!!!

2. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Don't know why you can't restore your TM SL. After I boot to the SL install drive I always use disk utility to format the target drive prior to Restore from backup; that should take care of any Lion files.

If you want to restore Lion there should be a restore partition on your hard drive .....:confused:

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't know why either. For some reason it says that only one backup is available. When I open up TM and look there, there are plenty of available backup dates; however, when I tried to do it after my SL install, only one was available so I had to choose it. I even tried running the Migration Assistant and the same thing happens.

4. TPadden macrumors 6502a

If you have a good SL TM backup rather than install SL and THEN restore from backup try booting to your SL install and from Utilities select Restore System from backup and see if it offers the available backups......

...... or wait for someone who knows more to try to assist :eek:!

5. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't see the Restore System from backup option that you are talking about. Where would that be?

6. TPadden macrumors 6502a

from the SL install boot you have to click on the menu bar at the top "Utilities"; the bottom choice is "Restore System From Backup".

7. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah - I figured it out after I made my last post. Thank you though. I have plenty of pre-lion backups to choose from so I'm not sure why I wasn't given the choice to use one of those before. That might have saved me a lot of aggravation.