Rollerblading - How, where and what?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Spanky Deluxe, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Hello all,

I've been thinking recently that I'd really like to have a go at rollerblading. Where I live, the seafront has long flat paths and I often see people skating along and I've always thought it'd be great fun.

So... does anyone here have any knowledge or tips?

Specifically, how much should I spend on 'blades' or skates for a complete beginner, what kind of things should I get and what I should watch out for. What would be useful to know is if blades are usually big for their sizes or small, i.e. if you normally wear size 10 shoes, would size 10 scates be fine.

Any tips on how to get started for a complete beginner? I've never tried scating before in my life, nor have I been ice skating, however, I'm quite a good skier with pretty good balance if I do say so myself (touches wood).

Spanky

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Rollerblade" is the name of a company that sells inline skates. ;) Rollerblade is the "Walkman" of the inline skating world.

Um.....stick with a decent brand. Unfortunately, what you get in the UK may be different from brands that I know. I guess sticking with Rollerblade is OK. I don't know much about inline skates anymore, to be honest. A company like Bauer or CCM will surely be quite decent, although they'd probably cost a lot. K2 is another company you should look at.

You'll likely have a choice between (shoe)laces, or buckles. The buckles are what I'd recommend.....unless you play street hockey. ;) You likely don't, so get the skates with the buckles. Also, get elbow and knee pads.

After you put on your blades, position your feet so that they form a "V" shape, or even a "T" shape. A "T" shape is just a slightly altered "V" shape stance, except your 2 feet don't meet at the heels. Is that clear at all? It's hard to describe.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

That does make sense, cheers!! :)

:eek::eek: {reconsiders}

5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Ditto what abstract says, but get wrist guards. I have roller bladed for years and never once hurt my knees or elbows when I wipe out, and you will wipe out! But my wrists took a pounding at first.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

For recreational, start off with some cheep Rollerblades or Nike.. Some of the best hockey skates are Missions (says an old skater friend)

Most importantly, get something that's comfortable. You won't need speed, or precision, just comfort.

I've used skates I got for $50, and was quite happy.

And get wrist guards.. I've broken a wrist that way:mad:

7. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Wrist guards, got it. Good plan since I've broken both my wrists before.

Cheers everyone!

8. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Recreational or aggressive?

That is the question and I skated both. Rec when I was kid and aggressive now and all I can say is there are so many styles of skating, it's hard to give you advice w/o finding out what you're interested in.

Racing/Speed/Rec/Aggressive/Etc.