Rolling back Leopard.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThatWasAwkward, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ThatWasAwkward macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward

I have Leopard installed, but it has been giving me all sorts of problems. If I were to insert my Tiger install disc and try to install that, would it overwrite Leopard and leave me with 10.4? Or do I need to completely format the drive first?

2. ThatWasAwkward thread starter macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

you can do a reformat via the disk utility on the Tiger install DVD, or alternatively after the prompt from the installer when the exclamation point shows up over your 10.5 partition

4. ThatWasAwkward thread starter macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward

I know I can reformat. I was asking if I can install 10.4 WITHOUT formatting the drive so all my data is intact.

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

there's no way that I know of natively,

but, there are 3rd party apps that allow you to partition without reformatting. You could install 10.4 on a second partition, then migrate your files over from Leopard.

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

leopard's disk utility will allow you to repartition without formatting, but i'm not sure if it works on the boot partition.

then do as suggested above.

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've got two internal drives. I'm downgrading tonight - have had enough of Leopard's instability. I think I should be able to install Tiger from my old grey disks to my 2nd drive, but I'm not sure yet. If it works, then I guess I would just press the <option> key when booting to select the Tiger drive and then copy over all my stuff. Internal HD's are cheap. If this works, I'll post back here and let you know. If anyone else has a suggestion, please jump in.

8. ThatWasAwkward thread starter macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward

What I think I'm going to do is just do an Archive And Install with my Tiger discs. I've been able to back up a bunch of stuff through my Windows partition.

One more question: Does Archive And Install erase everything off the drive and just archive the OS X installation? Or will it leave everything that is not OS X alone?

9. digby5 macrumors newbie

Probably too late to warn you... but an archive & install of tiger over leopard will create leopard apps that will not be overwritten in your applications folder. For whatever reason some apps are overwritten (eg, disk utility) while others will be holdovers from leopard (eg, dictionary). The archive & install option in tiger won't allow you to select the move settings/files option but you can do this manually afterwards. An update to 10.4.11 also won't restore the tiger apps since the installer won't update a newer app (leopard) with an older app (tiger app). As such, I do not recommend such a move.

This is on PPC too - perhaps intel will be different. Doubt it tho'.