Rollout of software upgrades - Massive demand

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Seanyboy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Seanyboy macrumors member

I was just watching the MobileMe walkthough on the Apple website and something just struck me.

We know that the iPhone 2.0 will be landing Friday at the latest. MobileMe could go live at any time.

The demand on Apple's servers is going to be massive as all sorts of Apps will have to be upgraded simultaneously.

New software will have to include:
    - iTunes 7.7 and then the 2.0 iPhone/iPod Touch upgrade.
    - A patch for the Mac OS - currently the pane in system preferences says .Mac
    - A patch for iCal and iMail is likely due to alter the preferences to work with MobileMe.
    - iPhoto needs to be patched to replace the web gallery option with Mobile Me.
    - Even Apple TV has a MobileMe gallery option in the Photos section so will need an upgrade!

My point is that Apple has a lot of software to roll out before Friday if it wants to ensure a smooth global launch of MobileMe and iPhone 3G. Will Apple's own systems be ready? And when will they push the button to start the process?

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

will apple's systems crash/screw up like o2's?

3. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

MobileMe is being released today between 6PM-12AM PT. I'm assuming most updates for AppleTV, iPhone, Mac, etc will become available either today or tomorrow to ensure people can make use of their MobileMe accounts.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

Well they already announced that MobileMe will begin launchig tonight, as .Mac is shutting down between 6p.m.-midnight PDT.

I'm sure they will continue to stage it to minimize the hit and avoid these issues.