Rollover minutes with new 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jul 6, 2008.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Does anyone know if the rollover minutes you currently have on your iPhone will carry over to the new contract when you purchase the 3G? I have over 3000 and don't want to lose them if I don't have to!

2. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yes if u r keeping the same voice plan and r jus changing the data plan everything will stay the same.

3. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Yes they will. Provided you don't change your rate plan (voice plan. If you change your voice plan then you will on be able to keep the amount of minutes of the new plan.. if you have 3000 rollover minutes and change to a 2100 minute plan you will only keep 2100 rollover minutes.

4. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

how do you find out what your actual rollover minute cap is?

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

There is no roll over cap. Roll Over expires on a 12 month rolling calendar. So if you had 400 Minute Roll Over minutes from July of 2007, then that would expire July of 2008 unless you use it.

Whenever you go over your current usage plans, the oldest roll over minutes get used.

6. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm not sure if I understand...

I currently have a 900 minute plan and have around 3000 rollover minutes saved up. If I buy the new 3G and downgrade to the 450 minute plan do I lose all my minutes? Or do I just get fewer minutes due to the downgrade?

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Your new rollover minutes will be 450. You will lose all your accumulated roll over minutes if you downgrade.

8. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Ah, bummer.

Thanks for the info!

9. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

How long have you've been a customer of AT&T ? Often times, they will bump up your roll over minutes or let you keep it. But this depends on how long you had your service... they may also give you monthly bonus minutes for free to compensate for your loss.

Give them a call

10. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

That is kind of a bummer. Not that I plan on downgrading but that info is good to know.

11. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Another piece of good info... I love this site!

12. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Hmmm...good to know. I'll give it a shot. I've been with AT&T for a little over a year now (swithed from Verizon to get the iPhone).

I'll give them a call. I just figured, with all my rollover minutes, I would downgrade my plan to compensate for the increase in rates for the new 3G. Doing this I would effectively pay $5 less a month rather than $15 more a month. Having those rollover minutes would be like having the more expensive plan...at least for several months.

13. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

For me, I have over 7K roll over minutes so I pretty much have unlimited plan. I was able to accumulate those roll over minutes from the free Bonus Minutes each month.

If I were you, I would stick to your current plan so that you could utilize those minutes without having to worry about going over.

Just call them after you get your new iPhone to see what they can do for you. I wouldnt suggest making any changes to your account now since it may mess with your upgrade eligibility.

Good Luck

14. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

So does that mean that I can keep my current family plan, even if only one of us is getting the new iPhone? AT&T will simply change the data charge from $20 to $30? :confused:

15. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

thats correct.

16. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I am switching from an individual to family plan and I will lose most of my rollover minutes. IIRC, I can only carry over the number of minutes in my new plan.

If you keep the same plan type, it should carry over no problem.