Rollover sound in Flash

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I'm not an "expert" at Flash yet, but I've doing some line research and some expirmenting in order to try to do different things with Flash for web design. Quick question:

I was going around Garageband to find a nice rollover sound. Did that and exported to iTunes so I could import it into Flash. I did import it and through certain steps was able to make it a sound in the rollover state of the button. Only thing is that the sounds is of lower quality than it is in iTunes. It say's it's an AIF file. Is this normal?

BTW, this is how I did the sound rollover. Made a simple square, copied shape into a movie clip and put the sound clip on a different layer. Put the movie clip in the rollover state of the button, and the shape does it's rollover thing and plays the sound (but in a lower quality sound).

Any info is appreciated.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Thanks for reply

stoid said:
Flash automatically converts all sound files to mp3 on 'publishing' there should be a setting to change the sound quality.
Where is the setting at for sound quality? I checked the Publish Settings under file, but nothing.

Thanks again.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
There are 2 ways. All imported sound files will automatically compressed to the setting in the "Publish Settings". You should see it in "Audio Stream" and "Audio Event" under Publish Settings. You can also change the export setting for each individual files. Open up your library, right click on the sound file in the library and select "export settings".

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
angelneo said:
There are 2 ways. All imported sound files will automatically compressed to the setting in the "Publish Settings". You should see it in "Audio Stream" and "Audio Event" under Publish Settings. You can also change the export setting for each individual files. Open up your library, right click on the sound file in the library and select "export settings".
I found the "Audio Stream" and "Audio Event". They both say: MP3, 16 kbps, Mono.

Then under "export settings" the Compression says: Default. What would I change to make the sound quality better?

Thanks again for the assistance! :)

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
If you want better quality perhaps, you can change it to 64kps or higher under "publish setting" but you may wish to take note that the file size may increase dramatically.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
angelneo said:
If you want better quality perhaps, you can change it to 64kps or higher under "publish setting" but you may wish to take note that the file size may increase dramatically.
Awsome thanks. Just to be sure, I click on "Set" then configure the Sound Settings (Compression, Preprocessing, Bit rate, and Quality) options, right?

And I guess I'll have to find a "sweet spot" that has good sound quality as well as a low file size (sorta like JPEG compression via Photoshop).

Thanks all for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.