Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick T.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
SoCal
A few months ago I bought a Mac Mini to see if I wanted to make the switch to OS X or not. At this point I find myself doing more and more work on the Mini, and don’t mind using Parallels or BootCamp for applications which have no Mac equivalent.

But I’m having trouble finding a suitable replacement for a little program that I use many times a day. Cardfile came with Windows 3.1 and I used it for many years until replacing it with AZZ Cardfile from http://www.azzcardfile.com/. These programs are nothing but a simple database - - a Rolodex in software. I don’t need or want anything fancier.

The obvious work-around is to keep frequently used desktop tools open in a Parallels window, but I go to Cardfile often enough that switching environments becomes irritating. A OS X native application would make my day a little more pleasant.

Thanks for any suggestions about where to look.
-Nick T.

mahoganyfil

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
rolodex

I think I could have written your posting......Couldn't agree more with your sentiments.....I too am new to Mac and struggling with conversion of useful small windows apps....Spent many hours on apple store trying to locate what you are talking about to no avail....Apparently Hypercard was the apple software that did what we want and that is no longer available....I have also tried to convert windows cardfile into azz and of course that works.....Then tried converting the azz into a text file that could be converted to csv.....That I was going to put in a separate apple address book for easy reference and portability with .mac......So far that hasn't worked for lack of a suitable conversion program that will work when imported....Many failures on that front.....If you find something that works please post.....Both cardfile and azz are sooo useful

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Is there something wrong with using Address Book? It integrates with iCal and Mail like a dream with Leopard.

mahoganyfil

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
I think address book would work fine it is just a matter of finding a way of getting the 500 contact cards from windows cardfile or azzcardfile into address book---painlessly.......That is a good solution but I hate to resort to a one at a time process of entry for a lot of data....

t-gunn

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
Bento?

I'm using "Bento" by Filemaker. It's perfect for managing contacts and it automatically syncs with Address Book (and subsequently Entourage contacts)! It's not fancy but it is easy to use and, at the same time, very powerful for managing contacts.

You can download a free trial if you want to play around with it.

Good luck!

Nick T.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
SoCal
Is there something wrong with using Address Book? It integrates with iCal and Mail like a dream with Leopard.
AddressBook is fine for keeping track of contacts, but I use Cardfile for several different databases - - lists of lots of various things.

I'm using "Bento" by Filemaker. It's perfect for managing contacts and it automatically syncs with Address Book (and subsequently Entourage contacts)! It's not fancy but it is easy to use and, at the same time, very powerful for managing contacts.

You can download a free trial if you want to play around with it.

Good luck!
Thanks - - it looks as though Bento may fill my needs. Gonna give it a trial.

Ha! There is an advert. for "Card File Software" at the bottom of the page for this thread - - Bitsmith Software

critterdoc

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
...Cardfile came with Windows 3.1 and I used it for many years until replacing it with AZZ Cardfile from http://www.azzcardfile.com/. These programs are nothing but a simple database - - a Rolodex in software. I don’t need or want anything fancier.

Take a peek at mooDex, which filled in for Casady & Greene's QuickDEX when C&G went down long long ago in a galaxy far away. It uses Casady & Greene's QuickDEX format and it runs under OS X 10.x including Leopard. It's small and it's exceedingly fast, but I have no idea how you can easily batch in your 'cards' from AZZ Cardfile.

Download and review mooDex here.

GW22

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Rolodex wanted

NickT,

I also have been using the old windows 3.xx cardfile for the last 15 years or so. Now I have purchased my first Mac and need to move the data (950 cards) over. How did the Bento work out? Is it easy to move the data over?

mahoganyfil

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
I ended up importing the cardfile info into AZZ and from there creating a cvs file to import into address book.....Address book required some manual editing which is a little tedious but it was worth it.....Now with mobile me it updates on all my computers and ipod touch....It is complete with any notes on each card as well as normal address and phone info etc....I was very skeptical as a new mac user but it really does work great.....

jsjacobson1

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
If this is still working for you, can you help me?

I ended up importing the cardfile info into AZZ and from there creating a cvs file to import into address book.....Address book required some manual editing which is a little tedious but it was worth it.....Now with mobile me it updates on all my computers and ipod touch....It is complete with any notes on each card as well as normal address and phone info etc....I was very skeptical as a new mac user but it really does work great.....

I'm in exactly the same situation you were in. I've tried exporting my AZZ files to a delimited file, but it doesn't seem to recognize the card titles so I don't know how to import into Easycardfile or MAC's Contact app (is this what used to be called Address Book?). When our IT guy transitioned me from Windows to MAC, the Contact app populated from Google, I think. If I can learn how to correctly export from AZZ, is it possible to open a second Contact list just for AZZ files?
If you can help, you will make my day, week, month and year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.