Roman Numerals

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ditzy, May 28, 2015.

1. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Ok I'm probably being really thick here, but if there a watch face with Roman numerals on? it seems strange that that is missing.

2. srshaw macrumors 6502

Not I've noticed. I wish there was a little more customisation available with watch faces.

3. ant69, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015

ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

I'm sure future updates will include additional faces, and possibly 3rd party faces to download from the app store?

Ant

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

5. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

custom watch faces are what made the pebble so popular, so I hope there is the chance of these being available eventually. On the other hand...some of the pebble ones were proper fugly!!

To start with Apple should perhaps supply a template that can be used with limited options for customisation. Numbers/characters, background etc

this would give everyone a chance to examine the effect on battery life etc

6. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

There are small things I like on the faces of my watch, which I can't get even though it's digital, so I know the feeling.

Bring on iOS 9 and Watch OS 2 with surprises, Apple!

7. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

There's someone in the 'Show off your watch' thread who somehow has done this, unless it's fake?
    [​IMG]

8. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What version of Roman number is that? 1,5 & 10 all=I It looks like all I with some at a slight angle.

10. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

How do you even get Roman numerals to show on the watch? I can't see that option anywhere, and I can only show standard numbers on all my watch faces

11. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

It's definitely fake. Look at the way 4 is displayed. It is IIII rather than IV.

12. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

That's not at all uncommon on watch faces.

Attached Files:

13. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Looking at the picture again even the font seems different, it looks like Times New Roman.

14. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

They obviously don't know Roman Numerals then. I would be worried about wether it would keep accurate time if they can't even get the basics right.

15. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Actually guys, if you zoom in, you'll see that the X and the V's aren't captured well in the photo, as it appears half of them is a much finer line. Only the \ appears to be visible.

And, my ex had a clock that had 4 represented as IIII. We always laughed every time we looked at it (kept thinking we should have her daughter repaint that portion of the face and fix it) :)

16. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

It's not about basics. Google for yourself and you'll see there are lots of watch faces with IIII for IV etc. For some manufacturers it's a question of design whether you like it or not.

EDIT: On top, there is actually a historical background to this. The Romans used IIII themselves for particular reasons.

17. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Still doesn't answer the question about how the hell you actually get Roman numerals to show! I feel I've been through every setting on the watch (and watch app) 15 times and it's driving me mad!

18. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Heh, did anyone ask them? :) Maybe they're an Apple employee and they're running an early build of 1.1 (and seriously messed up by posting that watch face)?

19. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

I've asked (as have many others!) on the 'Show off your watch' thread, hasn't replied as yet...

20. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

The reply was that it was the "Utility" watch face.

Edit: Post #3144 on that thread.

21. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Yeah I saw that. That's the face I use but can only get actual numbers to appear, and the font is the standard apple font - not Times New Roman.

22. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Screen capture the utility face, edit on PC, show on watch from the photos app and capture a photo. It looks like a watch face in action but its just a photo of a photo on a watch. (my guess)

23. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Ashamed to say I don't have my watch yet (so I can't try this myself). If you're customizing the Utility face, if you do another force touch on the number, does it allow you to change the font for the number? (maybe that's how he got it?)

Also wondering if this is a delta between 1.0 and 1.0.1? Anyone not update yet that could verify?

24. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

No, another force touch will take you back to the selection of watch faces. All face options are selected/changed via the digital crown.

25. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Ok. What if you touch or hold your finger on the number field? Anything pop up?