Roof peed on my MBP -.-

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ericksgotmac, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ericksgotmac macrumors regular

My roof leaked on my MBP but BARLEY on it. The only thing affected was the left corner of the screen, it was working for a bit after it dried but not the screen stays black. After booting it into Target Disk Mode to copy the contents onto another HDD I saw the firewire symbol moving around the screen!

Basically what I'm trying to figure out if its the cable, backlight or any other type of hardware failure?

Can anyone provide me with some insight to my problem? I'm not sure if I should buy a cable, backlight or lcd.

P.S.
    I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro Unibody

2. Surely Guest

Surely

The firewire symbol is supposed to bounce around the screen with it's in Target Disc Mode.

3. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

What I'm trying to say is that I thought the screen was dead, but it looks like it's only the backlight since the screen is very dark. That is why I originally thought the screen was staying black.

Is it possible to just buy the backlight or do I need to buy the entire top?

4. calvy macrumors 65816

The backlight is part of the LCD assembly I'm pretty sure. You'll need a whole new top, or just LCD if you can get into it.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm somewhat baffled as to why your roof is leaking barley :D

Seriously though, did target disk mode actually function? If you can't access the drive over FireWire then it seems that more than just the display is damaged.

6. petrelli18 macrumors newbie

haha best post of the day