Rookie mistake

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Porkchop Sandwich, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Porkchop Sandwich, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

Porkchop Sandwich macrumors member

So, I have a few legacy programs that will not work in Sierra. Therefore, I created a partition on my Mac(s) and I have Yosemite on those partitions. I have time machine backups generated while using the computer in Yosemite.

My dumb-ass did not make the partitions for Yosemite large enough and now I need to re-partition in order to fix the problem. (Didn't MacOS used to allow for a partition adjustment at any time using disk utility?)

Anyhow, if I re-partition I assume it will erase the drive, or at least that portion of the drive. Can I re-partition with a larger set-aside space and, restore the Yosemite partition using my TM back-up?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think so. Can't check until later. Are you not seeing the option to adjust partition sizes?

Curious that no one else has responded. I'll try to check when I can and let you know what I find.

3. Crash0veride macrumors regular

Crash0veride

I don't think it ever allowed you to move partitions, just resize them. That's your real problem is the disk says a partition starts at X and a partition starts at Y, you can't change those points, just where they end. You can add space to the end of a HFS+ partition but not before the previously defined beginning. Based off my understanding of your description, I would say yes, you would need to delete Yosemite, resize Sierra to leave more space for a larger partition and then put Yosemite there.

4. Porkchop Sandwich, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

Porkchop Sandwich thread starter macrumors member

I seem to have worked it out. I was unable to re-size the existing Yosemite partition. I swear you used to be able to simply click and drag a virtual image of the partitions -or- key a new partition size into the dialogue box in disk utility but, that option appears to be gone now.

Here's how I ended up handling it - it was pretty painless actually

First, I created an all new partition. Then, I installed Yosemite on said partition. Using migration assistant I transferred the contents from the old Yosemite partition to the new. After completion and, verification that the migration was successful I simply deleted the old partition. I guessed that I would have a choice as to what partition would absorb the deleted one (ie:Sierra or Yos) but, I was wrong. It automatically merged into the newly created partition which for me is, no big deal either way as I'm not hungry for space on the primary side of my mac which is Sierra.

To those who need a legacy partition take my advice - format the partition a bit larger than you think you will need.

Thanks to those who chimed in. For all of the years that I've used mac and as good as I am about using TM for back-ups; not once have I ever had to restore from a TM back-up. It had me a bit skeeved out hence, my question before acting..