Roomie

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by scully, Apr 29, 2015.

1. scully macrumors member

How is Roomieworking out on teh watch.

Very tempted to take the plunge at £8as I use Tivo, Plex, nestand the idea of contolling allfrom the watch sounds the business.

Anyone have any experiences with the app and the watch to share?

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I've never heard of it but it looks ace! :) Sorry I can't be of help, but id be interested in any experience of others.

I worry about latency though especially for fast forwarding...

3. JonBigTelly macrumors newbie

I am using Roomie and the Watch App works really well.

Was surprised how easy it is to use on such a small screen.

4. scully thread starter macrumors member

I have taken the plunge but need to set it up tonight. Looks good so far though, all my devices have shown up automatically from their IPs.

5. scully thread starter macrumors member

So finally took the plunge and thought I'd write a very quick little reviewette.

Its £7.99, so its a pricey app, but what was making it attractive for me was the possibilityof controlling any netwroked device.

My setup at home is a samsung smart tv, TIVO (virgin media in the UK), plex runs on the Samsung's dedicated smarthub app via my MBP.

(I also have an :apple:TV upsatirs but thats irrelevant for this review, save that Roomie will also work it if I want it to).

So ideally what I wa slooking for was the option of having controlls on the watch that activated both my tv (and allowed me to use the smart hub) and the TIVO.

The app on ios is great, it requires triall and error, but the devices appeared automatically via their IP addresses and once added I could control them immediately. You can then set up commands such as arranging to turn on a device and set it to a channel. the functionality is unparallelled and so far i reckon I've got it doing about 10% of what it can.

It works with nest, for example, which will eb great next winter.

The one thing it cant do is turn my smart tv on, because the tv has no network connection until it is turned on but that apart I can basically now move between my tv, tivo, smart hub and plex and choose my media all from the watch.

best watch app I have seen so far.