Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

binba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
493 threads about MBP cases, yet none about my question. Hence the new post :)

All cases are designed to fit books and accessories, what I'm looking for is a case that also has room for an apple (apple, not Apple!). Or an orange... you get the idea.
Something affordable and business-casual-ish. Not big on sleeves. I have a 15.4" MBP.

If you have experience with any of these please share:
  • ful ComMotion
  • Qnkki 15.6" Laptop Messenger Bag
  • Targus 16” Military Messenger TSM109US
There's ridiculously little detail online about actual specs and not enough photos.

Thanks!

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I have an HP notebook backpack. It has a special laptop pocket. Theres enough room for a few books, a few notebooks, and my MBP.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
If I paid close to $2k for a Mac I'm not skimping on the bag. :rolleyes:

I've used Timbuk2 for all my Macs. Most of them have a separate compartments for your computer. This way if anything spills, it won't spill over. Plus its waterproof. If you are commuting to work, then you want something like that. Then next, it's got to be durable ...again I'm carrying $2k Mac.

Another reason I like Timbuk2 a lot of compartments. Well Padded. Multi-uses. I used it when I travel, as a camera bag for day trips, over night bag.

Blogger - Nice and lighter than Messenger bag

http://www.ebags.com/product/timbuk2/blogger-20-laptop-bag/141300?productid=1365274

Classic Messenger
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/new/classic-messenger

Others
http://www.ebags.com/product/timbuk2/messenger-101-m/155775?productid=10033511
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/coder

those bags you've listed aren't well padded. You don't get water proofing around all those zippers.

elleana

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
I don't really get what you are looking for. What is the difference between putting in two apples and, say, a book?

binba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
If it's never too late to respond... it depends on how big the book is :) It's just that the vast majority of cases don't have a compartment with a good fit for a 3"x3"x3" object.

I can say that I ended up getting a ful Commotion messenger bag, and I'm happy with it. It's big (can fit 17" 'tops), but suddenly I could carry everything I'd need for work or anywhere, in one bag. There's plenty of room for a MBP, folder, an external 3.5" drive, chargers, mp3 player, and yes, that apple.

The caveats are an undersized water bottle pocket, and some might want a wider shoulder strap.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I had originally been looking for the same type of bag for my iPad last year. I ended up getting a Waterfield Designs Muzetto, the 13" Laptop version. I wanted something that would had fit the iPad, plus more space, the smaller sizes seemed too small for me.

It worked out better than I anticipated. Since then, I have the 13" Macbook Pro that I keep in an Incase sleeve. I have found the Macbook to be more commuter friendly than the 14" HP I had before....the Muzetto holds it perfectly as well as addional supplies. I wouldn't go as far as to say it would hold the Macbook and an apple ;), but if you get the larger size Muzetto, you could pull that off with no problem.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

The only pain about them is it is always in preorder, next orders they say are shipping in April. The service and quality you get out of them is incredible though. :) Well worth it.

whyzdom

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I bought the Boa Nerve L from Booq. It comes with a removable sleeve to house your laptop in or out of the bag and also has plenty of room for other things you might need. I sometimes carry 2 2tb externals or 1 2tb external and some external speakers, and my digital camera... etc. Plenty of room so check it out.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
If I'm going to be traveling for a bit then I prefer a Brenthaven backpack. I've owned these since the 12" PowerBook days and love them.

For light traveling, I'm shopping for a messenger bag myself. :D

Quesavilla

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
I just bought an Oakley Messenger bag. It has room for my 17", (comes in all sizes) all the accesories, with lots of room to spare. It's not a super padded bag but I used the black foam on the top side of box the MBP came in for additional padding. I can post a picture of it later tonight when I get home.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I have a Tom Bihn brain cell inside a Chrome messenger.

I was waiting for someone to recommend a real messenger bag instead of this wannabe stuff :D

Chrome Citizen here with an incase slipcover

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
I was waiting for someone to recommend a real messenger bag instead of this wannabe stuff :D

Chrome Citizen here with an incase slipcover

Nice. You ride with that setup?

I also have a vertical sleevecase by waterfield, love that in my backpack, but I really needed a horizontal one for the Chrome. I actually fell after trying to avoid an old lady and put a small dent on my last MBP. So before I ordered my new MBP I ordered the Brain Cell. They called me and was told they were out of stock and wouldn't be in til 4-6 weeks later, but they shipped me one all the sudden, so it's all good. I actually haven't ridden with this new setup yet.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
My wife went to COSTCO, I believe, and got me a Swiss Army backpack, with a pocket large enough for a 17" laptop. I'm not sure how much they costs, and it's not on the Swiss Army backpack page any longer. All I know is that it has plenty of padding and the laptop compartment is very roomy. When I get my new 17" laptop, I won't have to change my bag! It works out great for grad school.

lurrego

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
how about a something like a Filson laptop bag? excellent quality and materials, spacious, and looks great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.