Root Canals - Any Low Cost in Canada?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Supa_Fly, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Supa_Fly macrumors 68040

Supa_Fly

If you can all avoid getting your kids from having Braces (train-tracks) then DO SO!

I spent 5 years total in braces, having the traditional "train-tracks" ( 2.5yrs but 5yr with the anchor bracket around my molars), retainer and bite-plate. Growing up I swear my mom slaved like crazy for me to have them. After finally getting them off when I was a just out of highschool, and then having my wisdom teeth removed I thought I was all set. Just keep brushing 3 times a day, not drink much Pepsi or Coke cola's and I'd be ok.

Well turns out during my adult life - some 10yrs - my molars have been hiding a NASTY cavity inside! The only sign was a small slightly yellowish tint in a small slit on the outside of my molars that never grew in size over this time. NOW over the past 5yrs I've gone through shock and recently EXCRUCIATING pain! First biting on bones - chicken bones for marrow (old habit) and cracking a piece of my molars :eek: and more during that 5yrs to the point where I cannot drink any HOT or cold drinks like a normally used to.

I've since visited the dentist practice that I grew up with - my old family dentist retired and sold the practice but my sister & mom still go to the same practice. They've drilled out one of my molars (top two need roots), and cleaned and put in some kind of temporary filling. At that time I used to work full-time and thought I'd be able to afford the $1500 for the root canals (1 in the one they've already drilled, and 2 in the other) & $300 for the crowns included already.

I've NEVER had insurance as I've always worked on contract and getting insurance was even MORE expensive then getting the work done, as well as not being able to use ANY Canadian dental insurance package for the first year it seemed worthless.

NOW my Teeth have been hurting SOO bad, I swear that I'm dying. No joke on this! I wake up in the morning and my girlfriend doesnt want to even kiss me until I brush my teeth - thats how bad this dragon breath is! Being winter in Ontario I cannot breathe in my mouth if I have a cold because I'll almost freeze the open cavity crater in my top right molar because I know I'll pass out. I've already made the mistake of having cold yogurt a few months ago and passed out because of the severe pain from the cold. I now have to carefully brush my teeth after EVERY meal to stop the slow saliva digestion in that molar from causing pain or just simply to get food out. Heck even eating RICE I have to do on my left side of my mouth now because even an over boiled rice grain if upright and bit on will cause a sharp pain that freezes all conscious thought.

I've tried searching the net and have NOT found anything. From what I can tell clinics only cater to cleaning for adults and emergency teeth removal for children under 18 because OHIP only covers dental for them in emergency's. I cannot use my wife's dental plan UNLESS I first pay for the procedure where they will then reimburse us with receipt.

What are my options?

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Can't help you find a dentist, but I thought that it was funny that your girlfriend became your wife in the span of about one paragraph :D

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A man can have both. Not a loyal man, but a man nonetheless.

Anyway, I don't believe there's a low cost way of getting a root canal. Dental services are never cheap, regardless of country. Besides, if your wife/girlfriend's insurance will reimburse you later, just pay for now and get reimbursed later. Do you not have enough cash on hand in order to pay for the procedure up front? Is money the issue?

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

well if it is emergency root canal then it is covered by provincial health,go to nearest gov aid office to get the forms.

Emergency rooms in some places can also do

the other low cost option is to go to nearest uni with dental school , they do perfect work at 20-40% of full cost.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yank it. That's what I did 5 days ago. $3000 for a root canal or $250 to get it yanked. They gave me the whole "your still so young" sob story. I'm like, "care".

6. Supa_Fly thread starter macrumors 68040

Supa_Fly

She pretty much IS my wife! We've been together for almost 13yrs and have 2 kids - we're common law. Marriage that whole official thing is NOT successful in both of our families for many generations (less than 10 in ANY on both sides).

7. Supa_Fly thread starter macrumors 68040

Supa_Fly

Correct money is indeed the issue for upfront. For now its eating on the left-hand side of my mouth. But if I can hold out for a large tax return then we're going for it as soon as it comes in.

8. Supa_Fly thread starter macrumors 68040

Supa_Fly

THIS I think is my best CURRENT option! But terms are pretty limited in the definition of Emergency dental care - I may not fall into that category. But You've provided some hope so thank you! In a about 6hrs I'll head out looking for information hoping to reach this goal. :D

I actually Asked my dentist (Endodontist to be exact) and he mentioned that my face at the jaw line over a few months to a year may begin to slightly cave in at that area. I swear that my other "molar" would move up on the right & left side. I call them molars because he called them that; but these didn't come in until around 4yrs ago and they're almost in the same area as my old wisdom teeth where at. To be honest though I'd rather have it yanked and a permanent fake drilled in it place.

Curious what is the average amount of teeth an adult SHOULD have on the top & bottom? I only have 24 teeth (12 top & bottom). I've only had 7 teeth ever removed (2 extractions, 1 from a grade 9 school fight - braces held it in until the ortho redid the wire for it to fall out, and 4 wisdom teeth pulls). So 24 teeth normal??

9. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

I didn't think OHIP payed for any dental other than kids,I got a tooth broke in half playing hockey and they made me pay for it.Unless they don't consider that an emergency.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

My Mom is a dental hygienist. IIRC she told me about dental schools doing cleanings and such for cheap, I know UofT has a dental school, but I don't know if root canals are one of the procedures. ... That and you'd have a dental student (with supervision) actually performing the procedure. :eek:

I have to call my folks anyway tonight so I'll ask then. In the meantime start searching for dental schools here in Toronto.

Or just check out The U of T site here!

11. Keebler macrumors 68030

i think your only option is to pay for it first and get reimbursed. that's how all plans work. the companies won't pay out for something first. it protects them from fraud (not saying you, but many jerks out there).

if the pain is that bad, I'd be calling right now and biting the bullet (no pun intended).

don't mess with the mouth - ppl don't think it matters, but it's all linked in with the digestive system and from what they say, the heart too (build up of plaque).

good luck,
    keebler

12. pjgeer macrumors member

My dentist here in Toronto, files all my paperwork directly with the ins. company and I only pay the difference between the coverage and cost. I am with Greenshield and Bluecross used to, and might still, do the same procedure. It is up to the dentist if they are willing to do the paperwork. My root canal cost me $112 after insurance. I then cracked my wisdom molar due to grinding, the day before the final filling went in for the root canal. This is going to require a crown and will cost me about $250 after insurance and I can do this with payments. I have never paid for cleanings up front, always done with paperwork directly to the ins. company.

I had very similar symptoms to you. Eating on one side, pain, etc. Check out other dentists and see if they work with your insurance company.

Pj

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I agree most company will not pay out first just most of the time the denisty or surgen will pull your file from them and see what the company does pay and you will pay the difference. That is how mine works. Some times I have a credit on my account because they under estimated the cost. A few times I had to pay a little extra on my next visit. My credit/debt with the dentist stays with in 50 bucks of 0.

As for the OP cavity and what not. I can safely assume you did not get regular check up during those past 10 years because any competent dentist would of seen the cavity on the X-Rays. Most of my cavities (6 now) have all had very little if any visible outward signs. Most of them between my teeth so zero signs that are visible with out xrays.

I would say get it done and just eat the cost because the infection can get to your jaw bone and then you have an entire new world of hurt and problems. Sounds like it already very bad and the tooth may be to far gone for a root canal.

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hey Prom1,

How are you faring? My mom said that her office in Oshawa takes post dated cheques and can do an exam and root canal the same day (with a little notice). She also said some cases the Dr. will offer a 15% discount if you don't have any insurance .. if you can make it to Oshawa I can give you my mom's name and she'll help you out with that. It will cost about $150 for the exam, x-rays and possible extraction, any additional cost will be explained and a simple treatment plan worked out. If you get in touch she will personaly make sure you'll get the right treatment and will inform you of the cost every step of the way.

Check out this Website, (it's where she works).

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Here in Japan, the root canal takes several visits (4-5) to complete including the crown of your choice.

The first two visits are the most painful. The Japanese do not believe in using a lot of Novocain. :(

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ouch! Is that from experience? :(

Oh boy, Prom1 hasn't logged in here since the 19th... I hope this means he found a dentist! If he hasn't, my Mom is ready to help!

<edit> BTW when I said exam and root canal the same day I meant the root canal procedure can start that day after the initial exam. I don't really know how many visits it would take to get a final crown in... Hopefully it won't even get that far and a simple extraction is all that's needed. :) </edit>

17. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

If he says you need a root canal you better get on that son! You will get a dental abscess as a result and that is the most painful thing I have ever experienced. Not only is it painful but can quickly become life-threatening as it gets to your "danger triangle" around your nose and eyes.

I had a dental abscess in October and the medical costs from going to the ER 3 times a day for a week and having to have them cut some of my mouth ended up costing about 4 grand. I then had to get a root canal ringing up another total of 3 grand. It's not fun. It is cheaper to get the root canal than it is to get your tooth pulled. If you get the tooth pulled they have to put a fake in. If you don't get a fake it will seriously mess up your mouth. Either way it's expensive.

Now that I got that taken care of, I now have to go in and get my wisdom teeth pulled because my last teeth are coming in - it hurts once in a while. That procedure is going to cost me another grand. By July I will be looking at around 9,000.00 in dental work alone, not to mention any medicine I need to get. It really sucks!