Root File System Too Small?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by AppleCrisp, Jun 9, 2008.

1. AppleCrisp macrumors member

For some reason my iPod's root directory has five megabytes remaining, while my iPod has 20 gigs free. I'm trying to install the wikipedia dump but obviously it won't fit into this small space. Is this happening to anyone else/is there a fix for it?
    Thanks

2. opivy1218 macrumors member

I think you just have to download Boss Tools. Once downloaded, go into it and move the fonts only. If more room is need, then move some apps. I think that may solve your problem.
    Oh, and to clarify, I meant download in Installer.

3. AppleCrisp thread starter macrumors member

well the problem is that frees up like 80 megabytes, while I need 2 gigs for wp. There must be some fix for this...

4. opivy1218 macrumors member

Then you have to move the apps in Boss Tools. Or, you could ssh into your ipod if you have the times and means to do it, and move them yourself.

5. AppleCrisp thread starter macrumors member

6. opivy1218 macrumors member

Well, what are we talking about here? Moving apps in Boss Tools, or sshing? In Boss Tools, all it does is move the apps from the operating system partition of the hard drive to the 20 GB that you mentioned. As for the ssh, I have never done it myself, but I'm sure another person will be able to help you on that.

7. opivy1218 macrumors member

Oh wait, I just noticed you mentioned the needed space is 2 GB. Unfortunately, I think your only option is to SSH, as moving the apps only creates 300 MB of space.

8. AppleCrisp thread starter macrumors member