Root Password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HoddzDJ, Jul 13, 2013.

1. HoddzDJ, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

HoddzDJ macrumors member

Hi all, I hope you are well!

Just a quick question really. I have one account on my MacBook Pro which is password protected. My girlfriend has one account on her iMac that isn't password protected.

When I install an update to an app like I have just done (iStats 3 in this case) I get asked for my password. The same happens on my girlfriends Mac even though her account doesn't have a password set.

What password is this, and how do I go about changing it on my MacBook Pro? Will it change when I update the password for my user account?

Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT. Forgot to add a screenshot... http://cl.ly/image/111V0t1w3x1y

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's your standard user account password. You can change it in the Accounts preference pane in System Preferences.

3. HoddzDJ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! I'm just confused as to why there would be a password required if there was no password set for the only user account (as it is on my girlfriends Mac). How would I go about removing the password all together?

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

OS X is designed to not do system-wide changes without your consent. This is A Good Thing as it is what Windows lacked for many years and led to programs running without the users knowledge in some cases.

There is no way to suppress that prompt, even without a password. You will just have to acknowledge it when it appears showing your approval.

One of the best ways to keep your computer secure it to set a password. I would highly recommend setting one, even if you do not perceive anyone in the residence being a threat - it can help curb Internet threats as well in some cases.

5. HoddzDJ thread starter macrumors member

Will that password change when I change the user account password, or will it always be the original password?

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Open System Preferences-> Accounts or in 10.8 it's User &Groups and see if you have an Admin account or a Standard user account. The Admin account password will let you do some things that you seem not ready to do yet.

Plus what others here have said OS X protects its System files from stupid mistakes that mess it up.

To reset your password read the blog post Reset Forgotten Admin Password OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion