Root user in Snow Leopard.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by madhukar83, Jul 26, 2009.

1. madhukar83 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I need help in enabling root user in Snow Leopard (10A421). I tried to find the directory utility in utitlites but couldn't find it. I read in other threads that Directory utility has been removed and all the functionality is moved to user accounts. But didn't find how to enable the root user.

THanks in Advance.

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Why can't you just use sudo? That's almost always a better solution than "enabling" the root user account.

3. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Have you tried

#sudo passwd
    <enter admin password>

and then root 2x? You should then be able to log in as superuser if sudo won't work for you.

4. madhukar83 thread starter macrumors newbie

change the short name.

I need to change the short name of my current account. that's why I need to login as a root user. but I don't know how to change it thru a terminal. I don't know if it is possible at all.

Thanks

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Go to System Preferences, select Accounts, right click on your user in the left hand column and select "Advanced Options"...then change your short name.

You may need to authenticate a couple times, but just with your admin username and password.

6. madhukar83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Slpdload.

I was able to change the account name. But I am not able to change my home location. It's not allowing me to either create new one or rename the existing directory. Please help.

Thanks again.

7. infodriveway macrumors member

infodriveway

Changing the “short” username.

I’ve followed these steps (in the Apple article) several times. Changing the UNIX-style “short” username was much harder before Leopard.

Enable root using the Directory Utility app. In Leopard: /Applications/Utilities/Directory Utility.app. In Snow Leopard: /System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility.app

Follow the rest of the steps from this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

Afterwards, make sure to disable root. It’s a security risk to keep it enabled.

Hope this helps!

8. madhukar83 thread starter macrumors newbie

THanks a lot

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for your input holbie :)