Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I'm trying to add myself as a user so that I'm able to make changes without having to enter the password each and every time. And basically remove that lil icon on the bottom left of each window.

Help?

Running Mojave on a 2012 Mini i7

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.33.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.33.37 PM.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.35.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.35.05 PM.png
    3 KB · Views: 177

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
It looks like you are trying to do this at the top-level of your drive. You realize that if you do this then you're disabling all security for your drive? You aren't supposed be able to easily write outside your home directory as then any process at all could read/write whatever it wants.

If it's a throwaway install then if you really want to do it then just disable System Integrity Protection by rebooting into recovery mode and running `csrutil disable` in a terminal. Then restart, open Terminal, and chmod the entire drive to have read/write access with `sudo chmod -R 777 /`.

Again, I completely do not recommend doing this as it's utterly stupid unless this is a VM or throwaway machine that you are just fooling around with.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
It looks like you are trying to do this at the top-level of your drive. You realize that if you do this then you're disabling all security for your drive? You aren't supposed be able to easily write outside your home directory as then any process at all could read/write whatever it wants.

If it's a throwaway install then if you really want to do it then just disable System Integrity Protection by rebooting into recovery mode and running `csrutil disable` in a terminal. Then restart, open Terminal, and chmod the entire drive to have read/write access with `sudo chmod -R 777 /`.

Again, I completely do not recommend doing this as it's utterly stupid unless this is a VM or throwaway machine that you are just fooling around with.

It worked. Thank you.

And yes, it's my main drive that I'm doing this to. I'm the only one that uses this computer, so I know which processes I do and what apps I install.

Thanks again!!

dsjr2006

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Metro Detroit
It worked. Thank you.

And yes, it's my main drive that I'm doing this to. I'm the only one that uses this computer, so I know which processes I do and what apps I install.

Thanks again!!

Being the only one using the computer and knowing what apps are installed are not an excuse to run with root access. You've disabled the security established for decades. A bug or flaw could easily delete files or directories that normally wouldn't be affected. You can already access any file on the drive by using terminal and using 'sudo' which temporarily elevates your permission, but with a password. This also means that were someone able to obtain access to your system they have complete control without having to authenticate before altering sensitive files.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Being the only one using the computer and knowing what apps are installed are not an excuse to run with root access. You've disabled the security established for decades. A bug or flaw could easily delete files or directories that normally wouldn't be affected. You can already access any file on the drive by using terminal and using 'sudo' which temporarily elevates your permission, but with a password. This also means that were someone able to obtain access to your system they have complete control without having to authenticate before altering sensitive files.

True, I would discourage this, but if that's what the man wants, it's his machine. It could be a valuable learning experience at the very least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.