Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Hey,

I bought a Galaxy S3 as a backup phone since it was cheap and wanted to knoe the pros and cons of rooting an Android.

Thank you :)

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Rooting an Android

Pros:

More control over your device and ability to remove bloat. More customization and software modifications. Over clocking and other system tweaks. There are a ton of pros...

Cons:

Voided manufacture warranty, possible bricks if you do something wrong, and possible instability with modifications.

Just my two sense.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Pros:

More control over your device and ability to remove bloat. More customization and software modifications. Over clocking and other system tweaks. There are a ton of pros...

Cons:

Voided manufacture warranty, possible bricks if you do something wrong, and possible instability with modifications.

Just my two sense.

Doubt the warranty thing is much of an issue since we are talking about a Galaxy S3.

Bricking an Android phone is extremely tough to do, unless you attempt to flash a file not designed for your phone.

Rooting itself does nothing to create instability. All it does is allow access to files normally invisible. Flashing a custom recovery, modems, different kernels and ROMs are what create potential instability. Just unlocking the bootloader and rooting though. Nada.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
If you root it and remove a wrong file, you can soft brick. I agree, it's really easy to mod an Android and likely it'll be fine. It's just small things that can be done wrong that could cause inconveniences.

I'm the type who'll end up using a ROM/Kernel/etc.. I see rooting as the first step not the end result. I guess that would explain my view a little.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Thank you for the help! Does anyone have a link to download and a good tutorial on how to do it?

A friend told me about the warranty void, so I'll root it after that.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
xposed framework is so awesome thats why, allows so much customisation of Android and even some apps which is totally reversable with a few clicks.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Adaway
Betterbatterystats
Es file explorer
Greenify
Wakelock detector

Those are my root apps. I don't think I could enjoy android without them. Particularly adaway and greenify. I hate nonsense running in the background, greenify lets you control those apps with pesky background processes, while maintaining normal function.

Not all phones void warranty on root. Best example is moto x dev edition. Pretty sure rooting through fastboot recovery doesn't void warranty (my phones bootloader is still locked), but most phones don't have fastboot. Nexus, gpe... ??

Dav1boy

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Biggest benefit..... WiFi tether. esp if ur on a carrier like Tmo or Sprint which offers unlimited data.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
If you root and flash, you trip the Knox flag. So you not only void your warranty permanently, but you also permanently lose OTA. Not that OTA matters given Samsung's disgusting update trends, but thought you should just know.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
If you root and flash, you trip the Knox flag. So you not only void your warranty permanently, but you also permanently lose OTA. Not that OTA matters given Samsung's disgusting update trends, but thought you should just know.

Some of the S3's and Note II's are still running pre-Knox. However, I tripped mine. I figure I've got insurance and going through Samsung for a warranty is a pain in the neck. If I brick it or something stops working, I'll just office space it if I can't fix it.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
On xda I've read that samsung has been honoring warranty support on Knox tripped devices. Your mileage may vary of course.

Was unaware that it can effect Ota's. Ugh Knox :rolleyes: the apple-ification of samsung

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
On xda I've read that samsung has been honoring warranty support on Knox tripped devices. Your mileage may vary of course.

Was unaware that it can effect Ota's. Ugh Knox :rolleyes: the apple-ification of samsung

No, this is much worse. Apple never permanently voided warranty or updateability. This is a new low across the whole industry and is one of the main reasons people need to stop buying Samsung's crap and start buying quality phones from other manufacturers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.