Rooting for bad guys

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, May 16, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So, with Transformers coming out in a couple of months, I got to thinking about how it will turn out. That got me to thinking of another Michael Bay film. Pearl Harbor.

So, I know that it is based on the events that spurred the US into WWII and that lots of people tragically lost their lives. But, supposing that it was based on a fictional story - and by fictional, I mean no similarities between any it and any real event - I would have rooted for the Japanese. they seemed more honorable and less petty.

That got me thinking about another movie that I found mindless but enjoyable - The Italian Job (the remake). I rooted for the Ed Norton character to win, and (even knowing that it could never happen in Hollywood) was actually disappointed that he lost.

Additionally, I have just discovered the new Battlestar Galactica. I was afraid of how it would be because I enjoyed the original so much. But, I find the show somewhat enjoyable. Only problem is that at this point (I'm 4 episodes into season 2), I'm rooting for the Cylons first, Adama/Tigh second, and really wouldn't mind if Roslin/Apollo died.

So, I'm just wondering - I root for the bad guy to win so often - does that make me a bad person? When have you guys rooted for the bad guy to win?

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I think you need to be locked up! :D
    Actualy, I think everyone has a bit of that in them.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds like you have anti-hero issues. Get a tattoo. You'll feel better (and more Bad!!) :p

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Even better, grow a long black moustache. You can twiddle it and think evil thoughts while watching your favourite films and TV shows. :)

5. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I frequently root for the bad guy. Most good guys just irritate me with their 'goodness' and crap. Life does not always favour the good guy, so bad guys need to win occasionally, too.

6. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

It's a welcome development in TV land to see a new crop of "bad guys" with complicated characters and redeeming qualities, alongside "good guys" that have cringeworthy character flaws that make them less easy to pull for.

I'm thinking Al Swearingen and Seth Bullock from Deadwood here, specifically (Dang, I'll miss that show. John From Cincinnati had better be amazing to make up for it!). There were numerous sympathetic qualities to Tony Soprano on display over the years, but the episodes from this last "mini season" have stripped away any pretense that he is anything but a sociopathic monster.

7. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Funny you mention that. I often times root for the bad guys to win as well. Lex Luther over Superman. Spiderman should have actually truely turned evil with the whole symbiotic ooz thing. Aside from the dispicable practice of slavery, it would have been interesting if the South had won the American Civil War. Oh yeah, I was really rooting for Anakin to kill Obi Wan in Episode 3, and I couldnt wait for him to turn evil. I have lots of things I regularly root for the bad guys on... Cant quite get with you on that whole honorable Japanese in WW2 thing though. From a strictly film based view point maybe, but not in a real life way.

One more thing. Whenever I play games that let you choose your character I always choose the bad guys as well. If thats not an option, Ill use a good guy, but do something f'd up with him so in my mind he is a bad guy now.

Im not crazy though. I have a doctor and a prescription that says Im OK. :D

8. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I've said it before and I'll say it again- Al Swearingen is the bestcharacter that I have ever seen on tv. Seriously- I agree with you. That character was just amazing. He started out to be a complete, unlikeable bad guy, then went on to be a likeable bad guy, then a likeable somewhat good guy, then bad again, and then you just didn't care what he did and you just liked him. Best series ever and here's hoping that they do make the alleged films to continue the series.

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yeah, as a kid I much preferred Darth Vader to Luke Skywalker...

10. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

the turner movie on the civil war, gettysburg, was pretty neutral in both armies, when in most other movies, it's usually portrayed with the south being bad guys. i would have wondered what would happen if richmond was the capital...

i sometimes root for the bad guys, especially if the good guys are annoying.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Everyone did. The true contest there was between Vader and Solo :)

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

for me if a 'good guy' is a bit holier than thou, i root for the bad guy.

i don't like unrealistic characteristics portrayed, its for lack of a better word, unrealistic. sure over the top stuff is good, and fun, but it makes it hard to emphasize and appreciate the characters if you can't connect with 'em.