Rooting vs Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lavrishevo, Jul 30, 2010.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I have a Droid X on Verizon coming in today for business purposes and I was looking up the rooting process for the Droid X. Gave me a flashback to the good old days of jailbreaking the first iPhone. Can't wait for the iPhone 4 jailbreak! Anyway, Check out this procedure: :eek:

1. Extract the DroidXRoot_v2.zip to drive "c:" and just name it "DroidXRoot" so it will look like "c:/DroidXRoot"
    2. Extract the SDK folder into your "DroidXRoot" it doesn't matter what the name of this folder is I used the preset name. This should not look like "c:/DroidXRoot/android-sdk-windows"
    3. Open the "android-sdk-windows" folder and then open the "Tools" folder. From here copy ALL of the files from this folder.
    4. Back out of the "Tools" folder and then out of the "android-sdk-windows" folder. You should now be in "c:/DroidXRoot" Paste those files in here.

Right now Bookmark this page, doing the ADB driver install requires a reboot. This way you can find this post instantly.

Time to install the ADB drivers. For these instructions go to http://alldroid.org/Defa...40&g=posts&t=495 and follow the instructions.

Assuming that the installation went through with no problems, its time to move on.

(Where you see the "Run" at type the command in the quotes ("") but with out the quotes. You should also be able to just copy and past whats inside the quotes if your lazy)

1. Go to the phone it should still be plugged in from doing the ADB driver install if not plug it in now.
    2. Go to your phone: Home, Menu Button, Settings, Applications, Development: Make sure the "USB debugging" option is enabled/checked.
    3. Hit your Home Button and pull down the Status Bar and click on USB connection: Make sure its set to PC MODE.
    4. Open a command prompt (On Windows 7 and Vista: Start, then type cmd, Right click the cmd and make sure you run as admin. Linix just open the terminal and make sure your running Root through it. If you don't know how to get that good terminal root.)
    5. Ok now that you have your command prompt open Run "cd c:\DroidXRoot"
    6. Run "adb devices" you should see your device listed with a whole bunch of numbers. If you get the message "No devices found" you didn't copy and past the files correct from the tools folder to the "DroidXRoot" folder or you didn't install the driver right from the previous post. If you get the message "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command" you may still have a server file running, make sure there all exited since you rebooted while installing the "adb" drivers. Well if you see your device your doing great keep moving.
    7. Run "adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk"
    8. Run "adb push su /sdcard/su"
    9. Run "adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox"
    10. Run "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid" If you have any problems with the pushing as in getting the "access denied" response then you did not start in an admin or root and need to restart...
    11. Run "adb shell"
    12. Run "cd sqlite_stmt_journals"
    13. Run "chmod 755 exploid"
    14. Where doing great if you didn't have any problems. From here pick up your phone, and navigate to a screen where you can turn on/off your WiFi with a widget, turn your WiFi on. You will need to turn it off then back on instantly after the following command.
    15. Run "./exploid" turn your Wifi off then turn it back on. Now follow the directions on your command prompt. When that completes you will be back at a shell prompt.
    16. Run "rootshell" You will be prompted for a password enter "secretlol" and press Enter. You are now root but you still have more to do. (You will know that you are in root because your prompt will be a "#" instead of "$")
    17. Run "cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk"
    18. Run "cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su"
    19. Run "cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox"
    20. Run "chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"
    21. Run "chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox"
    22. Run "rm /system/bin/rootshell"
    23. Run "exit" to drop from root to a non-root user, you will still be logged into the phone.
    24. Run "exit" again to drop back from your phone to your computer command prompt, you should be at "c:\DroidXRoot"

Now you need to confirm that you have established Root:

1. Run "adb shell"
    2. Run "su" you should now see the "#" sign which indicates you are root)
    3. WATCH YOUR DROID X SCREEN SO YOU CAN ALLOW SUPERUSER ROOT ACCESS!!!

2. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Maybe it is me being a UNIX weenie, but that may take a lot of steps, but that isn't something that is truly difficult. Essentially all you are doing is copying an exploit onto the phone, running it, then installing software so further applications can take advantage of root access.

In actuality, jailbreaking on the iPhone is a lot more complicated than "mere" root access on Android. The Dev Team who writes the one click JB is doing a lot of work with getting stuff to run reliably outside of the BSD jail and having everything still work.

3. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Ah...the good old days where jailbreaking could mess up your phone.

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yeah I know. The community was much more respectful and mature back then. Now, well just look at the threads. Most of the time it is moronity and petty insults in a pathetic attempt to make the offender feel better about themselves. The whole iPhone catagory has gone down hill so much makes one want to go elsewhere.

BTW, what part of Atlanta are you from? I grew up in Grant Park.

6. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

Seems to me all those steps could be rolled into one shell script, though I'm guessing what they did with the "once click root" posted above.

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I rooted a myTouch 3G a while back, and it was definitely a longer process than the last jailbreak I did with a simple "Make it rain" click. With that, it was a 5 or 6 step process, none of which were overly painful.

It does make me wax a little nostalgic for Nandroid though. I love the idea of being able to backup an entire phone to a memory card.

8. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Oh the ironic thing... I just rooted a Droid X today by the method shown above. Took me about 1-2 minutes at most. I'd probably spend more time waiting for the Javascript timer to tick at the download site than what I spent copying the stuff to the phone and running the exploit.

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Nope. One shell wont do it just because when the phone hits recovery you have to go in and do stuff.