Resolved "Rootless" & copying files to usr/lib

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by mateytate, Jul 10, 2015.

1. mateytate, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015

mateytate macrumors regular

After installing 10.11 I noticed I can no longer rip my (legally) owned DVDs using Handbrake to get them on my iPad, it turns out the 10.11 upgrade deleted the libdvdcss.2.dylib needed to decrypted the CSS. No problem I thought, I'll just reinstall it, but the installer wouldn't work.

OK, so I'll manually put it into the /usr/lib folder using the sudo command but that won't work either. I'm sure I'm doing it right but its just not letting me, it gives me "Operation Not Permitted" - see below, and yes before anyone asks the libdvdcss.2.dylib is in the downloads folder!

sudo cp ~/Downloads/libdvdcss.2.dylib /usr/lib/
    Password:
    cp: /usr/lib/libdvdcss.2.dylib: Operation not permitted​

If there is anyone with far greater knowledge of this than me that can help, I'll be eternally grateful. Is this to do with the 'Rootless" feature implemented in OS X 10.11?

Many thanks,

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Disable rootless, and you should be good to go.

3. mateytate thread starter macrumors regular

Turned off Rootless (booted into recovery mode (Command-R when booting) and disabled System Integrity Check) now working fine. Thank you.

4. leman macrumors 604

Third-party libraries should go into /usr/local/lib. Thats what the local tree is for.

5. SG- macrumors regular

SG-

file a bug report with Handbrake devs.

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

No worries.

7. Semisential macrumors newbie

Semisential

Disabling rootless is not a great solution from a security perspective. I've found Ripit http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/ works fine for ripping DVD's. It doesn't seem to need the libdvdcss library.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Its has been fine for me for the last 20 years. It will be fine for me going forward