Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rose gold Apple Watch - for men?

• Yes

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • It depends

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes with white sport band but most certainly not with rose gray modern buckle. Incidentally, the rose gray band is only available in 38 mm so it's clearly intended for ladies (as with yellow gold/bright red buckle).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Yes with white sport band but most certainly not with rose gray modern buckle. Incidentally, the rose gray band is only available in 38 mm so it's clearly intended for ladies (as with yellow gold/bright red buckle).

38mm isn't exclusively female in the watch world. It is actually on the larger side for women and in range for men. I agree that rose gray leather tends toward the feminine side but am hoping that either Apple or a third party eventually makes a matching black strap for the 38mm rose gold model.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Rose gold with black strap is used commonly on men's watches.

To the above poster Zboater, nobody is forcing you to wear a skirt.

Reactions: firewood

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
38mm isn't exclusively female in the watch world. It is actually on the larger side for women and in range for men. I agree that rose gray leather tends toward the feminine side but am hoping that either Apple or a third party eventually makes a matching black strap for the 38mm rose gold model.

That's beside the point. The fact that they're not making it or the yellow gold/bright red strap available in 42 mm indicates they're meant for ladies. Otherwise, they would have made them available in both sizes.

But, yes, rose gold/black strap would go quite nicely together as a men's watch. I'm sure Apple will expand on the Edition line. Right now, there's the question of whether the color-coded crowns can even be swapped out lest you want a different band.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
That's beside the point. The fact that they're not making it or the yellow gold/bright red strap available in 42 mm indicates they're meant for ladies. Otherwise, they would have made them available in both sizes.

But, yes, rose gold/black strap would go quite nicely together as a men's watch. I'm sure Apple will expand on the Edition line. Right now, there's the question of whether the color-coded crowns can even be swapped out lest you want a different band.

Not necessarily (re size). On the Standard I might well consider the 38mm. I'm half European and half Asian (and 100% American). I have small wrists. I doubt that many women would consider the 42mm designs but men can certainly wear some of the 38mm designs. I'd consider the 38mm rose gold but would prefer black to either white or rose gray leather.

----------

On a side note, how easy is it to re-dye aniline leather? Can I darken the rose gray leather?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not necessarily (re size). On the Standard I might well consider the 38mm. I'm half European and half Asian (and 100% American). I have small wrists. I doubt that many women would consider the 42mm designs but men can certainly wear some of the 38mm designs. I'd consider the 38mm rose gold but would prefer black to either white or rose gray leather.

Does the rose gold/rose gray buckle look feminine? Yes, hence only available in 38 mm.

Does the yellow gold/bright red buckle look feminine? Yes, hence only available in 38 mm.

That 38 mm isn't necessarily a ladies size is quite beside the point here.

On a side note, how easy is it to re-dye aniline leather? Can I darken the rose gray leather?

Why not just use the black sport band from the Sport line? The crown is at least black on the rose gray model.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010

The modern buckle is offered in dark blue in stainless steel for the standard. How silly would it look to match it with the rose gold? In case you haven't noticed, I'd really like to get the rose gold.

----------

Does the rose gold/rose gray buckle look feminine? Yes, hence only available in 38 mm.

Does the yellow gold/bright red buckle look feminine? Yes, hence only available in 38 mm.

That 38 mm isn't necessarily a ladies size is quite beside the point here.

Why not just use the black sport band from the Sport line? The crown is at least black on the rose gray model.

The sport band is for the 42mm design. I'd want the 38mm. I need to make a call to Angela Ahrendts not to forget about the 48% who don't wear skirts. :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The sport band is for the 42mm design. I'd want the 38mm. I need to make a call to Angela Ahrendts not to forget about the 48% who don't wear skirts. :)

No, the Space Gray Aluminum case with Black Sport Band is indeed available in 38 mm and I'm certain Apple will sell extra bands from at least the Sport line. Buy the rose gold/rose gray Edition model and swap out the band with the 38 mm black sport band.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
No, the Space Gray Aluminum case with Black Sport Band is indeed available in 38 mm and I'm certain Apple will sell extra bands from at least the Sport line. Buy the rose gold/rose gray Edition model and swap out the band with the 38 mm black sport band.

Thanks. I think I have a plan. :D

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I should then add sensitive men to the list of small gold watch wearers. Geez, lighten up Francis...

I'm quite happy wearing my $32K small gold watch, thank you very much.
Oh and that's Dr. for you.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
If you think it looks good, buy it and wear it with confidence. Anything to help stop perpetuating these archaic gender conformity anxieties that so many men seem to have.

To quote a famous Australian underwear brand "If you doubt yourself, wear something else."

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Here is my favorite color of gold. It's not yellow, its's not rose and it's not white. It's.......

ScreenShot2014-09-30at63541AM_zps292c6eab.jpg

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007

Are you sure that this is true? I took the label on the Apple website to mean that was what you could see in the picture, not that that was all that was available.
I'd be surprised if all bands aren't available in both sizes.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Are you sure that this is true? I took the label on the Apple website to mean that was what you could see in the picture, not that that was all that was available.

The gallery lists all the watches that will be available for sale. The Edition's page says that the line features "six uniquely elegant expressions of Apple Watch." If you look carefully, here are the six offerings:
  1. Yellow gold with red leather band - 38mm
  2. Rose gold with white sport band - 38mm
  3. Rose gold with white sport band - 42mm
  4. Rose gold with rose gray leather modern buckle - 38mm
  5. Yellow gold with black sport band - 42mm
  6. Yellow gold with midnight blue classic buckle - 42mm

I'd like a 7th option - Rose gold with black modern buckle.

Last edited:

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
The gallery lists all the watches that will be available for sale. The Edition's page says that the line features "six uniquely elegant expressions of Apple Watch." If you look carefully, here are the six offerings:
  1. Yellow gold with red leather band - 38mm
  2. Rose gold with white sport band - 38mm
  3. Rose gold with white sport band - 42mm
  4. Rose gold with rose gray leather modern buckle - 38mm
  5. Yellow gold with black sport band - 42mm
  6. Yellow gold with midnight blue classic buckle - 42mm

I'd like a 7th option - Rose gold with black modern buckle.

You could be right, but it seems bizarre to limit it that much. Not being able to have a sport band on the 38mm yellow seems short sighted.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

They can most certainly introduce more models between now and January 2015. I seriously doubt they're going to make rose gray and bright red bands available in the larger 42 mm size as men aren't likely to opt for the feminine version.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
They can most certainly introduce more models between now and January 2015. I seriously doubt they're going to make rose gray and bright red bands available in the larger 42 mm size as men aren't likely to opt for the feminine version.

Some women like chunky watches, and while I agree the the rose grey is very feminine, the red doesn't look that feminine to me.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You could be right, but it seems bizarre to limit it that much. Not being able to have a sport band on the 38mm yellow seems short sighted.

This also begs the question on how much $s. No doubt the Sport's Fluoroelastomer band with SS pin will be the least expensive band. Wonder how much more for the Fluoroelastomer band with 18K pin will be? Looks like the same band except for the pin. Although there may be some kind of color matching Crown accent piece.

I bet it will be a multiple of 2x or 3x for the gold pin version over the SS pin. I might be tempted to buy the SS pin to wear to the gym since it is so small I don't think it would stand out.

ScreenShot2014-09-30at11629PM_zpsc50cfe03.jpg

ScreenShot2014-09-30at11639PM_zpsbc109c42.jpg

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Some women like chunky watches, and while I agree the the rose grey is very feminine, the red doesn't look that feminine to me.

On Apple's website it's modeled on a woman, though. It probably is the most "unisex" of the Edition watches. I'd get that, but I really like rose gold.

----------

If we're going to mix-and-match, why not the Rose Gold (with the black crown) and the space black stainless steel link band from the standard collection? Too bad they don't offer any of the leather loop bands in 38mm.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
On Apple's website it's modeled on a woman, though. It probably is the most "unisex" of the Edition watches. I'd get that, but I really like rose gold.

No, the rose gold with white sport band is the most "unisex" of the Edition models, hence why it's available in both 38 mm and 42 mm.

If they really intended the yellow gold/bright red band for men, they would have made it also available in 42 mm to target a wider audience than just males with small wrists.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...If we're going to mix-and-match, why not the Rose Gold (with the black crown) and the space black stainless steel link band from the standard collection? Too bad they don't offer any of the leather loop bands in 38mm.

I'm intrigued by the Edition Crown. It doesn't look obvious but I bet you can change the insert color. Maybe magnetic or changeable Crown or .......... ??? Any thoughts or ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.