Rosetta / Lion - will I have to buy new software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skinnfell, Jun 14, 2011.

1. skinnfell macrumors newbie

Dear forum

I am a long time lurker here, and this is my first post.
    I have been considering a new laptop since about christmas, and the macbook air is currently very enticing.
    I have a little sum of money coming in july, and I was planning to finally upgrade my trusty old Powerbook G4 (which I have loved to death) to a MBA.

My main usage is light photo editing on the road, as well as regular office work, in addition to surfing and other light tasks.

I mainly use only three applications
    - Photoshop CS
    - Lightroom 2
    - MS Ofiice 2003

I have no intentions (or money) to upgrade these applications as they do the job just perfectly for me.

Assuming the long-rumored SB MBAs will come pre-installed with lion I am left with the question:

- Will this software work on Lion?
    - If not, Do you think the Sandy Bridge MBA will run Snow Leopard?

Should I jump the gun and buy a Snow Leopard MBP right now, before Lion comes?

I'd rather have a lighter computer, (PBG4 and MBP13 weighs about the same) but if I have to spend another $1000 for unnescessary software update, I can live with the extra weight...

Appreciate any input!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm pretty sure Lightroom 2 and Office 2004 (2003 was the Windows version iirc) are fine: they are Universal apps with x86 code. Photoshop CS requires Rosetta so will not run on Lion.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The other option is you're unable or unwilling to upgrade your apps, is not to upgrade to Lion

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The question was regarding an as-yet unreleased MacBook Air which may only be available with Lion. It was not about upgrading to Lion.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Duh, sorry my reading comprehensive needs work.

The OP will then need to upgrade CS2, I'm not sure about office though

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

Sorry, Office 2004 is PowerPC, not universal, so it requires Rosetta and will not run on Lion.
    Pull down the Apple Menu, About this Mac -- More info and in the System Profiler
    window select Applications on the left and then sort by Kind. That should give you a list of Classic (won't run on anything after Tiger) and PowerPC apps (requiring Rosetta).
    There are lots of PowerPC apps on my systems, finding universal or Intel replacements is going to be a mess. :eek::apple::eek: So I may wait for a while to update to Lion.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So it is. The years pass so fast! I had it confused with 2008 (Universal but no VBA).

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Every now and then I fire up Palm Desktop out of disbelief that my contacts were that badly mangled before I had a Blackberry and then an iPhone. In almost every case, I see the same corruption that I noticed recently had actually started back in my Palm days. Losing Rosetta means I'll have to do without this capability in the future. I think I can live without it. Sorry to hear so many users will be inconvenienced by this. Perhaps Apple will relent and offer a Rosetta workaround for Lion users.