rosetta on lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcomac, Jul 27, 2011.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

how can you get rosetta on lion so that antivirus an photoshop CS will work again??

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. simsaladimbamba

What kind of AV software do you have that requires Rosetta?
    ClamXAV is good an can run on Intel Macs and in Lion, though AV software is not needed.
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

4. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

synmantec endpoint protection uses pc power thing... doesnt that require rosetta?

5. simsaladimbamba

PowerPC (PPC) applications need Rosetta, but it seems a newer version of that Symantec software is Universal, thus could run on Lion.
    I don't know why you use that software, as it is not needed, unless your work requirements requires you to have some kind of AV installed, in which case the free ClamXAV I mentioned earlier (and referred to in the malware FAQ I linked to) can be used too.
    Again, AV software is not really needed.

6. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

There are so many arguments about resource usage by antivirus software... the last thing I expected was a request to run it in rosetta :)

Lion can not run applications that require Rosetta. Your best bet is to upgrade to newer versions of the software.

If that's not feasible (either economically or for other reasons), then you'll need to keep another partition on your hard drive with Snow Leopard on it, that you can boot to when you need to use those older applications.