Roseville Galleria Apple Store Reopens After Mall Fire

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple's retail store at the Roseville Galleria outside of Sacramento, California has reopened as part of the first wave of stores just one week after an arsonist barricaded himself inside a mall store and set fire. Due to concerns over whether the arsonist carried an explosive device in his backpack, firefighters were unable to directly combat the fire for some time, resulting in over $50 million in damage to the mall.

Apple's store is at the opposite end of the 250-store, 1.5 million square-foot mall from where the fires were set, enabling it to be in the first wave of 35-40 stores and restaurants reopening today after construction workers were able to seal off the more heavily damaged portions of the mall and government authorities were able to ensure that the undamaged portion of the mall was fit to resume operations.

Article Link: Roseville Galleria Apple Store Reopens After Mall Fire

MacConvert07

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
Upstate NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Think he was mad that he couldn't get a white iPhone?

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

MacConvert07 said:

Think he was mad that he couldn't get a white iPhone?
Alot of people I know lost their jobs because of this and he torched game stop and then the fire spread.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
He was psycho, obviously. The story here locally (northern CA) is that he wanted to work for GameStop and was denied.

It goes to show that parents need to force their kids outside once in a while. Kids are just like dogs, they need to be socialized to grow up normal. If you raise them in front of the video game screen, whenever someone pisses them off they'll torch them like they do in the game.

I'm not saying video games are to blame... this guy is seriously delusional, but seriously... couldn't he have hunkered down and torched Lane Bryant instead?!?!

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Why is it the store that should burn never does....

Anyone been to one of these stores? That big "Answers" board that everyone is pushing and shoving to see... does it have the "Answer" to how "Critical" a "Critical System Error" really is? ;-)

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

spillproof said:
That sucks for the mall. It is crazy how some people are, well, crazy.
The kid was a bi-polar schizophrenic, so yes, he was literally crazy.

spazer

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Northern California
My aunt was in that apple store having an appointment with a genius when the fire broke out. They told everyone to evacuate, but took the time to box up her macbook pro and return it to her before leaving. Everyone made it out with plenty of time to spare (the fire spread really slow at first and never made it to the apple end of the mall.)

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I live in the area near The Galleria. It was some 23 year old kid (mentally disturbed) who brought his backpack into the Gamestop inside the mall and threatened the employees with a gun he supposedly had. Then, somehow or another, he set fire to the store and the fire department couldn't get into the mall until the bomb squad had given the OK, which meant a portion of the mall just burned down and/or left a huge gap in the roof. That was on a Thursday. Then over the weekend that followed we had a crazy rain/wind storm. So now it's partially burned down and flooded. And all a month before Black Friday. Talk about a nightmare for anyone in charge. :eek:

Anyway, glad to see some stores are reopening and nobody was hurt.

redman042

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2008
I also live in the area and this is our favorite mall. It is a high end mall that just recently underwent an expansion, and is beautiful inside. Or was. Part of it is basically completely destroyed by the fire and will be closed for the better part of a year while they rip everything down and start over. Unfortunately, that area housed all the stores my wife liked most. She is beyond pissed.

I'm relieved that at least Apple is okay. That's my most important store in the mall. :)

sfh

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Sacramento CA
I wonder if they fixed the funky stench that store has. I try to not go into the roseville apple store cause it stinks something funky in there.

redman042

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2008
I wonder if they fixed the funky stench that store has. I try to not go into the roseville apple store cause it stinks something funky in there.
Never noticed that, but I suspect it will smell more like smoke now :rolleyes:

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
An apparent endorsement for keeping mentally disturbed young people safely locked away from society. Except we don't to be more compassionate.

But don't you *dare* use a Bluetooth headset while driving, because you may just kill someone!

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Another local here. The night the mall burned we told the kids Christmas was canceled. They cried.

Which is funny, because both my wife and I (although I more than she) have an intense dislike for malls and avoid them at all costs. On the other hand, the last two times we were in the Galleria were on trips to the Apple store, so I guess we have no reason to cancel Christmas any more.

The Galleria just finished some major renovations, including a long-overdue parking overhaul. I'm hoping the parking structures escaped all this unharmed, because getting in/out of that parking lot on a late-Fall weekend was always the worst two hours of my life. So much so that we generally go down to the Sunrise Mall with its hundreds of acres of parking when we absolutely positively have to visit a Mall Store. That and because that mall has the only "cheap" theater in the area.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Another local here. The night the mall burned we told the kids Christmas was canceled. They cried.

Which is funny, because both my wife and I (although I more than she) have an intense dislike for malls and avoid them at all costs. On the other hand, the last two times we were in the Galleria were on trips to the Apple store, so I guess we have no reason to cancel Christmas any more.

The Galleria just finished some major renovations, including a long-overdue parking overhaul. I'm hoping the parking structures escaped all this unharmed, because getting in/out of that parking lot on a late-Fall weekend was always the worst two hours of my life. So much so that we generally go down to the Sunrise Mall with its hundreds of acres of parking when we absolutely positively have to visit a Mall Store. That and because that mall has the only "cheap" theater in the area.
When I'm in R-Ville, my sole purpose of that mall is Il fornaio, hehe

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
50 million in damages. Wow. I wonder if their insurance is enough to rebuild it or if the mall will never again be the mega complex it was.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
This is nice to hear. I've lived in Roseville for my whole life up until 2 months ago. It's still surreal hearing about what happened from all of my buddies. The mall had just undergone a huge extension, doubling it's size, and it was quite nice! I hope the ĵcker that torched the place gets what's coming to him. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.