Rotate bar button icons?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by LTX, May 23, 2010.

1. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

I have an iPad application with UIToolbars on the top and bottom, with UIBarButtonItems in them. I want the icons in the bar buttons to rotate with didRotateFromInterfaceOrientation:. I found a resource for rotating buttons using a CGAffineTransform and the transform property of a UIButton, but UIBarButtonItem does not have that property. Apple does it in the Camera app on iPhone, so I know it's possible in buttons, but maybe not in bar button items. I do not want the toolbars to move on device rotation.

Right now I'm in the process of trying it with a UIButton. How do I detect when the device orientation has changed without returning YES in shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:? If I have YES in there for other orientations, the toolbars move to landscape positions, but I am able to get the state change from didRotateFromInterfaceOrientation:. If I return NO, I don't get anything from didRotateFromInterfaceOrientation: because the user interface does not rotate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. LTX thread starter macrumors regular

LTX

I managed to get it working with a UIButton, but I want it to look like the UIBarButtonItems I already have, with the gray tint from the toolbar. Is there any way to do this?

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It might be possible by using UIBarButtonItem's customView property.