Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
I have a Canon 8800F and there doesn't seem a way to rotate files that are scanned in. I can only scan 1 way to get all of the paper into the computer but they are sideways so on every image I have to open preview, and "Rotate Right" which isn't that big of a deal, but if possible I would like to automate this so everything that is scanned in is already rotated and saved.

Any Suggestions!?

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Automator can rotate images ...

I took a look at automator.. I have no idea how to rotate new images int he folder. any ideas?

After some time I have:
Find Finder Items -> Rotate Images

Find Finder Items which is pointing to the folder with the scanned images and I have "Date Created = Today" which seems to rotate the image that was created today, but if I have more than 1 thing scanned in 1 day then it will rotate 1 image twice which I don't want.. so I gotta figure out how ot stop after 1 rotation.

Also, how do I make it so this automates itself in the backround? I dont want to have to click the Run button everytime I want this to rotate

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I took a look at automator.. I have no idea how to rotate new images int he folder. any ideas?

After some time I have:
Find Finder Items -> Rotate Images

Find Finder Items which is pointing to the folder with the scanned images and I have "Date Created = Today" which seems to rotate the image that was created today, but if I have more than 1 thing scanned in 1 day then it will rotate 1 image twice which I don't want.. so I gotta figure out how ot stop after 1 rotation.

Also, how do I make it so this automates itself in the backround? I dont want to have to click the Run button everytime I want this to rotate

You're almost there... You need to set up a second task and have it move the files to another folder (so scan the images to one folder, then after rotating them, have them moved to another folder which will be your more permanent storage for them). Then, to have it run automatically, I believe you can save it as a Folder Action, though I've never done that part so I'm not 100% sure.

jW

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
You're almost there... You need to set up a second task and have it move the files to another folder (so scan the images to one folder, then after rotating them, have them moved to another folder which will be your more permanent storage for them). Then, to have it run automatically, I believe you can save it as a Folder Action, though I've never done that part so I'm not 100% sure.

jW

Thx! I saw the move to a folder and decided to try that, but the problem I'm having now is when an image is scanned, its scanned in as "IMG.JPG" and since after every image I want the automator to run and move it to my new folder if I scan something else in it will be "IMG.JPG" since the folder will be empty. So right now I have "Rename Finder Items" and "Make Sequential" as the kind of file renaming but it doesnt seem to be working right.. the first "IMG.JPG" becomes "img01.jpg" which is what I want but when I try and scan in a new image it becomes "IMG.jpg.AMRenameFinderItemsPlaceholderText" long name! :eek: but it doesnt seem to be working for some reason.. I'll take a snapshot of my workflow and most it in a minute

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
since the pics pretty big ill post in a new post

snappy003.jpg

not 2 sure how to handle the 2 warnings at the bottom :confused:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Check in the settings for the scan software and see if you can have it name the files by date instead. That would avoid the issue of duplicate naming. I wouldn't bother with the renaming function in Automator, I don't think it works properly (as you're noticing).

jW

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Check in the settings for the scan software and see if you can have it name the files by date instead. That would avoid the issue of duplicate naming. I wouldn't bother with the renaming function in Automator, I don't think it works properly (as you're noticing).

jW

The scanner can name files in a sequential order, but it starts off with IMG.jpg and then goes to IMG_0001, IMG_0002.. cant do it by date.. and even if so since automator woudl run right after a file is scanned they will have the same name when moved to the next folder since they would all be 07/28/09img.jpg since there would be no other images in the folder :( so confusin!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.