Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Have a new TV that has a specific app (Panasonic) that allows you to "swipe and share" to the TV your photos and videos from your iPhone. It works well except.....

Videos if recorded in landscape with the home button on the right display fine, videos recorded home button on the left display on TV via the Panasonic app upside down. Similar with photos if shot in portrait, display 90* out.

I've been onto Panasonic back and forwards and they say it's to so with Apple inserting a "rotate" flag in and it's. It their TV - surprisingly!

So I have 2 options, record video with home button on right (working way as awkward to use volume buttons then), or rotate them afterwards.

So is there any simple way to rotate on the iPhone/iPad keeping the video in same format/bitrate/GPS tags/metadata etc, ie do no conversion but rotate them for swipe and share? Is there an app?

I will still copy them to my iMac eventually and also the Apple TV shows them whichever way recorded the correct orientation.

Thanks.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Videos if recorded in landscape with the home button on the right display fine, videos recorded home button on the left display on TV via the Panasonic app upside down. Similar with photos if shot in portrait, display 90* out....

Pet peeve. All OS's including iOS, Android and Windows should ONLY shot video in landscape mode even if held in portrait. I get so sick of seeing videos shot the wrong way in portrait mode. Anyone who has ever used a video camera would NEVER consider turning it on it's side and who would ever turn their TV on it's side to watch.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Pet peeve. All OS's including iOS, Android and Windows should ONLY shot video in landscape mode even if held in portrait. I get so sick of seeing videos shot the wrong way in portrait mode. Anyone who has ever used a video camera would NEVER consider turning it on it's side and who would ever turn their TV on it's side to watch.

Agree but as on an iPhone you can use volume keys to record the natural way is home button left, "wrong" way for a Panny TV. So now I have to remember everytime.

I agree it normally should be landscape everytime but pictures also, sometime they look better in portrait and now Panny TV will look at them sideways.

To be the tech today should deal with them. Apple TV does, why can't they liaise with Apple and use the rotate tag, it's me like there's many iOS decides out there....

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Anymore help please? Keep forgetting to hold my iPhone the "right" way.

I want an easy way, probably and app on iPhone, that won't convert and lose GPS, tag, metadata etc.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.