Rotating Ringtones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ACardAttack, Mar 18, 2010.

1. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Okay,
    Ive googled for this and havent seen anything, I always get something unrelated but I was wondering if it was possible to select multiple ringtones (either for specific contacts or general incoming calls) to where the ringtone changes each time I get a call.

So for example if I have selected 4 ringtones for general incoming calls
    the first call i get i hear ringtone 1
    the second call i get i hear ringtone 2
    the third call i get i hear ringtone 3
    the fourth call i get i hear ringtone 4
    the fifth call i get i hear ringtone 1
    and so on

thanks

2. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

as far as i know, the only way to have different ringtones play is to assign different ones for different contacts

3. ACardAttack thread starter macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Yeah, thats what I was afraid of, but I think it make a cool feature in the future

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, you can't do that, but I would think that would be very confusing.

5. ACardAttack thread starter macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Why would that be confusing?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Because I use different tunes for different groups of people (e.g., family...We are Family, boss....Bitch is Back, etc.). So, if I had different tunes all the time, I'd not know who was calling.

7. ACardAttack thread starter macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Oh IC, id have different tunes, but still specific to a given contact or general incoming calls that dont have a specific ringtone....like if I have four different standard ringtones, but Id have it where the people who call me the most still have their specific ringtone so I know its them

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is an app for JB iphones only that will shuffle the ringtones so each time you'd get a random one from a list you specify.

9. ACardAttack thread starter macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

I figured there was something you could do with a JB iphone...at the moment thats out of the question for me...

10. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I did something like that with my email signature file, when I worked at Sun Microsystems (1988-1993). It rotated a famous person's quote and put it at the end of my .signature file, so every email had a different one.

If you were okay with a different ringtone every time you synced, you could have a script run on your mac or PC that changed the contents of a file called TodaysRingtone.m4r in your iTunes library.

Also, if I may be so bold, you might be interested in AutoRingtone (we have plenty of free versions). Custom text-to-speech ringtones so you can announce a caller's name, preceded by ~200 intro sound effects.