Rotation lock with options is needed

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Shockwave78, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

any of you also feel this way. For example I would like to have rotation lock on all the time for portrait mode but when a video is detected to be playing or landscape photo being viewed it automatically allows landscape. Then when done it reverts back to locking in portrait mode.

2. Mactaculious macrumors regular

+1 for this. This is where you should suggest it.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

3. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

4. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

yes good idea

someone elsewhere suggested cc buttons could have 3D Touch options. this would be a good one for portrait lock. obviously in setting app too

5. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Excellent idea. I hate turning lock off for I want to watch just the one video or something else that needs it but not everything. Now, picking 'needs' may be a bit problematic! Only video? ...

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Do not disturb need more options as well. Things that have been talked about and asked for years. Whenever Apple feels like adding something, if ever, is basically when it might happen (short of jailbreak tweaks).

7. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

what compounds the annoyance is that the video player requires a confirmation swipe to bring up cc and I see no good reason for it

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

video is a good start but even with just that I am guessing currently the OS doesn't always know when third party apps use their own video player, so Apple would have to add some kind of API for devs to signal this to make it work more widely.

if they did photos too then they'd need to a way to signal to the OS that a picture is displayed too. and Apple would have to carefully monitor proper use of this otherwise the lock could be overridden illegitimately. so there are ways to do this but might be apples first party stuff only, or else some thought would have to be put into it. just having fun thinking about potential ways

9. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Kinda like the YouTube app which bypasses the rotation lock for full-screen videos. I'd love that system-wide.

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

hmm not quite the same, if you have portrait lock on and are watching a video in YouTube in portrait, rotating your phone won't make the video landscape. this is what OP wants.

what youtube does is: 1) provide a button to manually flip it to landscape and 2) has/exploits a bug where if you use this manual button, the OS is tricked into thinking it's landscape too.

11. Krayzkat macrumors member

Krayzkat

landscape mode is handy on apps etc on my iPhone 6+, but it's annoying that when i take my phone out my pocket out flips over to horizontal mode due to the movement and then you got to wait until it rectifies back to normal mode to use again (as normal).

i'd like the ability to keep landscape mode for all apps etc that utilise it, but to disable it on he home screen.

meow

12. WarcraftWidow macrumors member

I'd like the option of keeping rotation lock on for the home screen (I don't need landscape home screen on my 6S+), but turning rotation on/off on a per app basis.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 6S+ fixed all that crazy behaviour. I don't have portrait lock on and 99.9% of the time I don't accidentally find myself in landscape.

14. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

100% yes please. Or give the option to rotate lock certain apps. If I could just prevent Messages from rotating, I would be in heaven.

15. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

I agree, this seems to be a bigger problem with the iPhone 6 Plus. Mine always seems to flip when I dont want it to.

16. shenfrey macrumors 68000

For the plus I would love to be able to keep rotation on but disable it on the home screen.