Rotation Problem w/ iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neworleans-7, Jul 3, 2010.

1. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I've been having a problem with putting my phone in landscape mode. My friend also has been having this problem. It's not locked in portrait mode or anything. When I turn it sideways it doesn't seem to respond. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. neworleans-7 thread starter macrumors regular

neworleans-7

3. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Try holding it in a more verticle position. If the phone is tilted too far downward, it will not respond.

4. ColReb22 macrumors member

Mine does the same thing

5. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

What app specifically are you turning the phone sideways on?
    You realise the home screen doesn't have a landscape option right?

6. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Excellent point. There are quite a few apps that do not support landscape view.

7. chattycathy1956 macrumors newbie

Trouble switching to landscape mode on iphone 4

Mine also does the same thing.... Sometimes it rotates to landscape mode fine, other times it takes a LONG time to make the change. I've especially noticed it on text messaging when I want the landscape keyboard to type my messages. I've tried holding the phone in varying angles but it doesn't seem to help.

8. oakland6980 macrumors member

oakland6980

yea i was having this problem when trying to view pictures in photo.app so i tried to rotate to landscape and it worked in safari.app but not photos. restarted the phone and worked. have noticed the problem before but hadn't paid as much attention.

9. RC83 macrumors 6502

hold it vertical, I had this problem before I realized I was causing the problem by holding it too angled.. easy fix..

10. neworleans-7 thread starter macrumors regular

neworleans-7

The problem seems to have fixed itself seeing as I haven't been having any issues as of late. I've been through 3 other iPhones so yeah I know the homescreen and some apps can't be put in landscape mode. When the problem occurred I couldn't go in landscape at all no matter what app I was using. I had to reset my phone in order for it to work again and after about 3 resets it gets pretty tiresome.

But I haven't had the problem anymore so all is well :)

11. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

After the first year or so I had this issue on my 3G, i would tap the back of it and it would rotate, thankfully I haven't had this issue with the i4

12. pjkinann macrumors newbie

Landscape mode does not function iPhone 4

Landscape (LS) mode used to work. No longer does. I've googled this issue. Tried checking issue by using calculator in LS mode. Doesn't work. I hold the phone vertical, not slanted, in LS mode. Does not work. Someone even suggested tapping the back. Does not work. When I take a video in LS and try to play it back in LS, does not work. Is there no resolve for this except returning the phone? Is it a "hardware" issue?? opposed to software issue? I'm not finding much to try in order to resolve on my own w/o a return.

13. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

If it's allowing you to take a video in landscape more, it's almost certainly that you've triggered the portrait lock.
    - Double tap the home button
    - Swipe to the right
    - Click the lock button