iPhone XS Max Rough Edges on Xs Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knowimagination, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

So UPS finally got me my phone and the moment I took it out of the box I immediately thought it felt really rough on the edges. When comparing it to my iPhone X it's night and day the X is buttery smooth over the edges and my Xs Max feels horrible in comparison.

Anyone else noticing this? I will probably take it by apple this weekend but just wondered if I was alone.

2. Waterman316 macrumors 6502

No issues here. No yellow screen. Nothing. Flawless phone. Sure that’s not what you want to hear, but it’s the truth. Define fly have apple take a look at it. They will take care of you.

3. FoxD macrumors 6502a

You got you got a bad one. Another guy here did too. Sucks

4. Knowimagination thread starter macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

That's kind of what I figured. I can't complain too much in all my preorder launch day delivery phones I've never had a bad one before.

5. Tommy c macrumors 6502

Tommy c

It has a texture? Mine also has a texture along the sides. Can you post a picture.

6. Knowimagination thread starter macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I've tried but its not really something that translates well to a photo unfortunately it kind of feels like the glass is sitting too low and it is making the metal edge rub on my hand. It's really easy to notice when you feel it compared to my X but not easy to describe.

7. SaMartens macrumors newbie

Got the same problem with my Xs, also the right side is smoother than the left but both not as smooth as my old X

8. Traved29 macrumors newbie

Traved29

Mine has the same issue. It’s not a huge deal but definitely annoying when you are paying over $1,000 for a device. I liked the smooth feel of my X better. Was wondering if it’s jist because of the large screen or if it’s a manufacturing defect. I think I’ll make a Genius Bar appointment this weekend and see. Hopefully they take care of it.

9. Titleist macrumors regular

Titleist

Same here. Original X feels butter compared to Xs Max. I’m leaning towards defect. It’s being picky but for the amount of money it should be nearly flawless. May return it and try another.

10. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

My gold Xs Max is perfect. My silver iPhone X had a rough spot last year and I was able to polish it with Mother’s Mag to make it perfectly smooth. But you can’t do that with gold or space.

So I’d exchange it if I were you. For the price you’re paying, it should be perfect.

11. seriouslyjaded macrumors member

I’ve only just notice after reading this thread - I have a lip that’s fraction of a mm between the glass of the screen and the stainless steel band - it as if the glass is 1mm too small and sitting on the base it leaves this 1/2 mm edge all the way around. It’s hardly noticeable unless you run your thumb across the edge or run your nail down the side from the edge of the screen then your nail catches. Is that a defect or just normal production tolerances I wonder?

A case is going to go on when it arrives so it’s not a big deal for me.

12. KrisYYC macrumors member

KrisYYC

Maybe it's just one of the properties of the "strongest glass EVARR!!"?

13. SaMartens macrumors newbie

It will be a big deal if the waterproofing isn't the way it should be because of this edge thing... If your phone gets any water damage apple refuses to repair/replace it. I've had this problem with my iPhone 7, never had it in water but still there was water damage.. Of course I couldn't proof it and the phone was not replaced by Apple..

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Someone else mentioned they had rough edges around Their iPhone dispay as well in another thread yesterday, Apple exchanged it without question.

15. cwilliams706 macrumors regular

cwilliams706

I think I understand what you’re trying to say, and my device may be suffering from the same issue. I’m still evaluating my feelings toward the gold model, so.iI may end up swapping for space gray. If so, hopefully the other device doesn’t feel the same. Thank you for sharing!

16. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

Jerry Rig has already disassembled an iPhone Max.

You might feel better if you watch his video.

17. Knowimagination thread starter macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Thought I should update this post for anyone who thinks they have a similar issue.

I ended up taking my phone to the apple store and returning it and buying a space gray model instead (wanted to switch to the iUP)

It is a night and day difference between the new one and the old one. Apple employee who was processing my return felt the edges and said it wasn't normal for sure.

18. Réne_8 macrumors newbie

I’m really bummed out to say I have this problem. I’m normally a very detail oriented person and I admittedly spend too much time appreciating my naked phone but this time around I threw it straight in a case because I had a very busy period of work and school. Finally have some free time, took it out to appreciate properly, and it feels like its micro-cutting me to touch. This is so unfortunate because it’s been longer than two weeks now but I’m only taking it out to notice now.

19. Réne_8 macrumors newbie

Is anybody else also getting itchy redness after handling the rough edges?