Rough edges where chrome meets plastic

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hokullani, Jul 12, 2008.

1. hokullani macrumors member

I happily received my black 16gb iphone today and noticed when i got home that where the chrome outline meets the black plastic on the iphone it is somewhat rough when you slide your finger over it. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's phones at randoms. I had an iPhone kind of like the issue you had, but i really didn't care because i had it in a gel case.

My 3G iPhone (i have a black and white one) don't have this issue though.

3. hokullani thread starter macrumors member

hmm maybe i'll take it in to the store in a couple days (anytime soon would be suicide) and see what they say about it, they'll probably just give me a new one cuz it's kinda lame

4. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

is it like almost a tiny scrape? is it shiny in certain light due to it being rough?

if so, yep. i got it too.

5. hokullani thread starter macrumors member

no like where the plastic meets the Chrome outline is very rough, from top to bottom on both sides

6. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

oh.

mine aren't flush and are a little rough on the top left and bottom right.

it probably came from the factory like that. They can't make all of them 100%. Welcome to the mass market!

7. cyberspastic macrumors newbie

I've noticed that the chrome and plastic don't match up well I lint gets in between. but it's no big deal.

8. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

9. patdavid macrumors newbie

10. Stylez macrumors newbie

11. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

YES I HAVE THIS TOO!

On the right of the phones casing, I can slide my nail down where the plastic and trim meet. I've already got dirt in it and have to swipe my nail to get it out.

12. pingouin macrumors newbie

mine has a gap between the chrome and white plastic all the way from the sleep/wake button along the right side... plus the reception was bad. I had it exchanged just yesterday.

13. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

I've noticed on mine on the chrome rim, that edge nearest the screen, on the top left hand corner is jagged and not smooth. It's not really novicable from a far, but you can see it and feel it. It's especially novicable when wiping the phone with the supplied cloth.

Will I be ok for a replacement? I know it's quite nitpicky and not a huge flaw, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I just know it's going to annoy me for 18 months! I got it from an Apple Store in the UK. I'm really hoping that they'll be ok with a swap and not call me a freak for being bothered about what could be seen to some as a tiny minor imperfection.

14. erg macrumors newbie

Any luck in getting a replacement

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my second IPhone and the edges where the plastic meets the chrome are rough - like really rough!

My first IPhone is all good.

I tried getting a replacement from the Orange Retail Shop and they were extremely unhelpful.

Has anyone had any success at getting an Exhange or Refund???

Thanks

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

:p

16. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

thanks for bringing up a thread thats a year and a half old

17. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

My first 3G was fine, but the second one has the sharp edges. But now I use an Incipio case, so I'm not worried.

18. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Thanks for leaving a worthless comment.

19. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Am I the only one thinking that the first-gen iPhone had so few build quality issues compared to the 3G/3GS?

Can't disagree that the 1st gen's construction and build quality was so much better than the 3G & 3GS. What a waste it blocks reception.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My iPhone 3G build quality is perfect, but when I bought a 3GS, I didn't like the screen image, and I had the nasty rough edge on the right. I hated it because I use my iPhone in it's naked state and I never felt a rough edge when reaching for my iPhone 3G. After getting it replaced 2 times, I returned the third for a full refund and went back to using my iPhone 3G (with 2.2.1). I'm happy again. Tell you what... I don't know if I want another iPhone until they manage to come up with a design that's either easier to build or doesn't have misaligned edges. I look at other people's non-iPhones all the time and none of them have quality issues like the iPhone. It's amazing that Apple can get away with all of this.'

That's my story.