Round icons/squared face

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Nicolecat, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Does it bug anyone else that the icons are round...but the face is squared.
    Why not leave them like they were across the iphone/ipad platforms?

I mean, I understand from a data perspective, a round face is kind of pointless...but why the round icons?

2. mainer4101 macrumors member

They "float" easier. Meaning you can just throw a clump of them on the display and they don't need to line up. With square icons, they have to be uniform in some way to be aesthetically pleasing, and that will limit how many you can put on there at any given time.

3. seme332 macrumors regular

seme332

I agree, though I think the Icons should not be square like on other iDevices. It wouldn't make sense in the grid they chose. I think they chose this rather random grid because you need to see more on a tiny display and don't want to scroll through endless pages when trying to find an app. It makes sense to choose circle icons from that perspective.

The circles look weird though, the grid they introduced in iOS7 on the app icons doesn't fit really well with some of them (mail as an example).

In my opinion, if they stay with that much functionality, a better way would be hexagons (like the "Foursquare/Swarm" Style). It would look better.

Though, to underline this all, I also think they should seriously cut down on some functionality (eg. Photos, Calendar, Weather, Browser (I guess that's the would Icon on the Home Screen?) and some more...). It makes no sense to do all of that on a watch. Get rid of everything and let them live in "Glances" (not Photos though!) where I can see my next appointment, ask Siri what is going on or add a new event through Siri. This is what is essentially more important then the shape of the icons in my opinion. When they established that, the Home Screen will be less cluttered and you can get a grid, new shapes and so on...

That's just my 2 cents ;D

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also with OLED you need to maximize the black space and round uses less space.

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

The icons are round in the shape of the crown, just as app icons on iPhones and iPads are the same shape as the home button logo (prior to Touch ID).

Simple.

6. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

They're still in a grid, though...just on a diagonal, so it looks less so.
    And it kind of defeats the purpose of being able to organize and easily find what you're looking for.
    Unless they created bubble folders or something like that, so you can group fitness apps, weather, etc.