Round One: Logo Ideas

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by bntz313, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

Ok, I'm designing a logo for this company, they are starting a new division of LED lighting within their company and need a logo done.

These are some very rough drafts, let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Personally, I like the "Si" logo in the lower right the best. Looks simple but also effective.

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Ooh, it's hard to choose, they all look pretty good. I think the blue ones look best, and I like the LEDs with the most detail because you can be really sure as to what it is exactly. It's between the one with the blue LEDs surrounding the S, or the one with the detailed blue LED before the S.

EDIT: Didn't notice the one with the LED in the A, that is cool too.

4. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, for the insight.

They liked the 1, 3, and 4 one on the left hand side. I created more that I though were better, but they wanted me to work with those...

5. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

I would definitely stay away from the blue one with the detailed LED design, as this makes the logo dated incase LED light design changes in the near future.

In my opinion, I would definitely go with the green design with the rounded LED-styled pixels. That is less likely to be subject to change as oppose to the actual schematics of an LED.

6. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

These are the newer ones, with the colors they wanted (roughly)

Attached Files:

7. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

I think the no brainer IMO is the extreme bottom one. Hate to rain on the opinions of others, but that one really stuck out with a balanced sense of positioning.

You may need to do some tweaking on the lime green though for reproduction purposes. Try it in B&W as well.

8. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

9. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

For?

10. jacktorrance macrumors regular

Hehe, harsh!

11. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

I still don't get it

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

He's saying that your logos are outdated, without offering any advice on how to improve what you've done. Happens all the time in this forum. I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

13. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is this all you do?

14. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

15. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

and your expertise on this subject matter is? Cause I notice on another thread you supply the same link, but still didn't explain how one could improve.

-I'm all for constructive criticism, though!

16. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

Hey bntz313. I have some experience with logo design from when I used to work at a TV station/media outlet. We completely revamped the logo design for the station.

I honestly like the original ones better. they are more simplistic/elegant to me..the second batch of designs just look lame to me. I know your client probably wanted that color scheme but it looks pretty gaudy.

Looking at the initial designs you posted, I like Left: 4 and 5; Right: 1, 2, and 3. I think Right 1 is my favorite with the LED design from Left 6.

Why dont you try using the ones I mentioned with the blue/yellow color scheme from you second designs post?..

Hope that helps! Let use know what you do...

17. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

That is a good call.

18. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

19. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok, but please explain?

Why do people offer a opinion but, do not explain? Why even say anything.

If you don't like it fine, I can totally handle that, but then why not tell me why?

20. sphoenix macrumors regular

sphoenix

Your first post, 4th one down stands out from all of them.

One thing I'm surprised about is that you're publically revealing these logo concepts for a genuine company. I mean, wouldn't they be a bit underwhelmed if they found this topic? I'd recommend getting feedback from people face to face, meet up at a cafe or send it by email.

Not bringing you down or anything, but I wouldn't feel safe with my work being available online for anyone to copy and do what they want with it...

21. farmboy macrumors 6502a

farmboy

It's easy to criticize, hard to start with a blank screen. Don't let 'em get you down.

1st set: #5 left
    2nd set: bottom

Altho I'm not wild about the colors in the revs, maybe you could use a foil or metallic or fluorescent in your print versions to make the graphic pop a little. The whole color mix is a little too busy--use 2c in the graphic, 1 in the text, or make the Luminous smaller or tucked under. Right now they're all kind of equally fighting for attention.

Think LED: very bright, very localized intensity.

It'll come to you; good start.

22. aleksoctop macrumors regular

The company just picked a bad color combination. The yellow is horrible against light backgrounds and just doesn't work without some kind of edging.

Other than that, I like your logos, but this guy a few posts above said it right - the first post, fourth one down, use that and polish it some more. That's your strongest one.

23. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

The issue being the designs look antiquated, technically not bad while there's nothing wrong as such with the selections. They simply look old and dated with the approach taken.

I would refer you to this site, it would give you a better understanding where we are coming from. Brand New has the before and after, many of the before are very good designs however are dated stylistically compared to the revisions.

A very good friend of mine worked on Surcogen Logo, I'd consider something like this would work much better considering the approach and style.

24. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Is this not coming a little too close to treading on the toes of Sigma Photo, who already make flashguns and I'm sure have at least been looking into LED lighting?

25. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Nice job on designing this batch of trendy logos. With a bit of tweaking, a few of them would work okay if you plan to rebrand every few years, or the company doesn't plan to be around for a long time.