? round watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rhsmd1, May 4, 2015.

1. rhsmd1 macrumors member

Any speculation if there will be a round watch in the future?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

No doubt. But in distant future. Expect to wait about the same time as for large-screen iPhone. The demand for round smartwatches is there and pretty strong. Apple will have to bend over some day.

5. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I'd be curious to see your research on this...

6. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

If there will be one, maybe the app icons will be squares this time around.

7. grenhall macrumors regular

Around 700 000 smartwatches running Android Wear were sold in 2014. My guess is that that was the number of watches sold during the first 10 seconds of pre-orders for the Apple Watch.

I know a lot of people associate watches to being round and Apple may or may not have that design up their sleeve but for the this and the next iteration the watch will remain rectangular.

Just my 2c.

8. rhsmd1 thread starter macrumors member

9. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

Android's "Choose your watch" page offers seven models. Four of those models aren't round. Surely the three round versions don't acount for all of the sales either.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Only after Samsung comes out with one, since Apple just copied the Galaxy Gear with the current version. Apple always waits for Samsung to innovate. /s

11. grenhall, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

grenhall macrumors regular

Probably not even half.

Well then we'll see an updated version next year since Samsung will be releasing a round watch this summer. Ohhh I can't wait! I bet they're stealing that awesome Tizen-UI as well. That'll be something quite outstanding to see.

12. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Well this could happen, and definitely will if Apple doesn't put fashion first. All those saying Apple won't do a round watch are obsessed with tech. Tech dictates form, but fashion doesn't work that way. Sometimes things are triangular just because that's what's in vogue at the moment, not because they are practical. Apple probably already had a round prototype before they decided to go rectangular. So I don't see offering a round watch for gen 2 a problem at all. The fashion industry loves round watches, and Apple is going to have to be as innovative with their fashion sense as they are technically. The only reason it wouldn't happen in gen 3 is if the developers aren't as responsive as Apple hopes, in which case Apple won't want to throw that particular curve ball until the developers are comfortable with the current climate -- much like they did going from the 3.5"-4" screens on the iPhones.

13. MrMac2015 macrumors member

I think it's unlikely but I'd love to see it and have a rotating outer bezel around the watch that works like the crown does now for scrolling and zooming and maybe three buttons on the side like a traditional crono watch.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

LOL. I doubt it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to conceive of a round watch.

15. flur macrumors 68000

No, it doesn't. I'd bet Apple had a round prototype at one point and decided to go rectangular for whatever reason.

I would have liked round, but now that it's out, I don't see them changing the shape any time soon.

16. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

A rotating digital bezel would be unbelievably cool.

Not sure about the "chrono" buttons on the side, but one thing's for sure they could have two buttons where the one "contacts" button is now, and would be far more useful.

17. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm sure they did have a round prototype. I like the rectangular shape, though.