Roundabout method of backing up Tiger via Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djc6, Apr 6, 2008.

1. djc6 macrumors 6502

I'm contemplating doing the following.

Setting up Time Machine on my Mid-2007 24" iMac (either to a Time Capsule or a Firewire 800 drive) and then configure my 1Ghz eMac running Tiger to regularly rsync its hard drive to a location on the iMac. The result would be that I could go back in time via Time Machine on the eMac as well, via the iMac.

Anyone else try this? Do you know of a better way to backup the eMac while keeping it on Tiger? It seems every mac backup article I find is geared toward making bootable backups via Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!, etc. While a bootable copy would be nice, I'm far more concerned about having the last X revisions of a file, or having going back in time to get a file I might have unknowingly deleted. Regularly cloning my HD to an external disk via SuperDuper! for example wouldn't provide this, but Time Machine does.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Seems like that would take a while to copy the whole Tiger drive over, and then you have to keep enough space on the Leopard drive to hold that copy. Also, if you are deleting that copy after each backup, then Time Machine will take a long time to backup each time since every file will have changed.

If you don't mind a little manual intervention, you can just startup your Tiger machine in Target Disk Mode from the Leopard machine, and then do a Backup Now in Time Machine. It will backup the Tiger drive in addition to the Leopard drive.

3. djc6 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't plan on deleting it; rsync will run periodically on the eMac and only copy over the changes made so that the eMac folder on the iMac is an exact copy of the eMac at the time rsync is run. The eMac is using 17GB of its 40GB drive. I'm only rsyncing the eMac over nightly right now, might increase that in the future.

I would do that but the two computers are nowhere near each other :)