Rounded Corner UI is better than square.

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by keatth, Mar 19, 2018.

1. keatth macrumors 6502

Ever since I saw the rounded corner UI on the iPhone X, square just looks so lame and outdated.

For the record I use iPhone SE and I use LG K20 Plus which I’ve customized to look like iOS, I have iOS looking apps, control center, iOS lock screen, and I also recently installed an app that makes the UI have rounded corners, even inside normal apps like google maps and YouTube, not all apps support it such as flip board.

Anyway even if it’s just a software update to make the corners round in iOS and within apps it can still be done on all other iOS phones not just the X, developers should change their apps to circled corners, I notice that the Square Cash app has already done this.

Round is the future.

2. Superhappytree, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Not for me it isn’t. Just because something is “futuristic” looking doesn’t make it good. I actually see people say the same thing about the notch. I have no idea how anyone can say that “is the future” when it is a temporary compromise. The rounded corners may be easier on the eye because they look more friendly but they annoyingly cut into content at the bottom of the screen, just like how the notch cuts into content at the top. Reading text can cut off some words because it curves it off at the bottom. Scrolling in Settings for example just doesn’t look right because up until now every single screen has been rectangular, and the OS is made for rectangular content. The same curving off of text appears in such apps. There’s annoying tradeoffs just for the sake of aesthetics and filling the entire front of the phone with screen. That’s just what I think anyway but I can certainly understand why it looks aesthetically pleasing to many.

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

i honestly prefer square, it looks more .... formal? but i'm okay with rounded. feels better in the hand of coourse

4. mjschabow macrumors 68000

5. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

B6229080-AD18-4E70-8ACA-B2117530D05D.png
    Agreed.

6. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Better? No, but definitely more modern. At least for now

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Better? No. There is a better middle ground between square and rounded. Or for the X, heavily rounded.
    For the best view, square is it. Personally I prefer a small bit of rounding. The X is a wee bit overblown.

8. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

9. puma1552 macrumors 603

Pics of what OP is talking about? Looking at my 8, the app corners are rounded, and I don't remember seeing anything different when looking at an X?

10. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

The iPhone X display has rounded corners.

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

On the 8 (or the 6 or 7) the viewable area stops short of the rounded corners giving you a square view. The X extends into the rounded corners either resulting in missing view or a bordered view.

12. puma1552 macrumors 603

Thanks, I guess I misread, I didn't realize OP was talking about the outside border of the screen. Personally, I guess I couldn't really care less either way.

13. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

That’s one of the reasons I didn’t get an X. I was disappointed in the way it cropped or bordered the video in store.

14. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

15. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

Apple seems to use a consistent level of roundedness for its corners that gives its products a signature look. Anyone know what it is?