Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berk Thomas

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
You know, guys, I don't think Amazon cares about the iPad. The Kindle Fire is a high end Kindle that allows you to do things that the previous Kindles couldn't do.

Obviously, there is a market for Kindles. It's a different demographic: people who like to read. And I doubt that many people here fit into that demographic. The device is designed to make the content consumption experience easy, fun, and seamless. Kindles do that.

Like anything else, the first version is mainly proof of concept. That's why they came out with the high-end black and white devices at the same time (5th gen). I suspect Kindle Fire 2.0 is going to kick ass.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
pouring in. You'll read the same comments about the laggy UI. If anyone bothered to really watch the Fire demo's, you see everything mentioned. You see the exact same things in the Nook tablet demo. And if you pay close attention, the Nook tablet doesn't quite get the color white right. I understand that modders are giddy over the Nook's ability to be easily rooted but the target audience for the Fire would have ZERO idea what you're talking about nor would they care. Is it easy to use ? Check. Will it do what I need ? Probably (but that's pretty much the standard answer for any tablet). Is it reasonably priced ? Yep. Does it have apps ? Yep. And about the amount of storage . . . I seem to recall a recent survey (or 2) of people with iPads about where/how they are using them. An overwhelming percentage of the respondents indicated they primary use it at HOME. If it's being used primarily at home, are you consuming media that's stored on the device or is it being streamed ? Think about it. Now I have no problem with anyone wanting greater storage. Especially if they are using the device primarily AWAY from home. Personally, The first iPad I bought was the 64GB model because it had been drilled into my head that more is better. I need it ! In reality I didn't need it. Not even 1/4 of that. I went with the 16GB version of iPad 2. After putting a couple of movies on it, a few CD's worth of music, a bunch of pictures and 3 pages of apps I still have 11GB of storage left. Of course YMMV but people really need to stop and think about what they do or intend to do with the device rather than what someone else say's you need to do.
It's a great example of whether it's ok or the best. The very point Steve Jobs fought for in his entire life...no compromise and 'good enough'.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
the experience is very Android-ish

And thus a new adjective is created: Android-ish, meaning "operative, useful but lacking in feedback, polish or forethought of design."

Which, hey, is what I'd expect for $200. And I'd put "no transitions" as a major positive over the jarring, contrast swapping transitions of an e-ink device.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I reckon they should have stuck with black n' white eBooks. I mean, I'd buy a regular kindle to read books on, but if I wanted anything more than books I'd buy an iPad.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

That quote that the Fire can do 80% of an iPad can do at 40% of the price is incorrect....

First off, the Fire costs $200, but if you want access to all that content you need an annual subscription to Amazon Prime at $79 per year. But even Bezos in an interview with Wired said that folks should also purchase an e-Ink Kindle because you want that for much of your reading. Let's break it down....

1) Movies: It is fun to watch movies on an iPad when you are traveling in the backseat of a car or an airplane or by loading up a bunch for vacation and playing them through the TV when you get there. With only 6GB usable of local storage and no 3G, the Fire is going to be grounded at home and all that cloud-based service is going to seem ineffective here. Let's face it, at home folks watch movies on their TVs because the screens are much bigger than 7-inch.

2) Books: The cheaper Kindle's really shine as e-readers because of the e-Ink. The size of the fire may make it a tad more enjoyable for reading than the iPad, but the reviews seem to indicate a choppy experience for Kindle usage in 1.0.

3) Magazines: The Fire is a tad small for magazines (much pinch and zoom). The other downside is many electronic magazines take up a great deal of storage, so you can't have too many subscriptions on the go. Not to mention, without 3G those interactive embedded videos and such may be unavailable.

4) Music: Nobody cares about music on a tablet. This is a checkmark feature, but we have iPods and smartphones for that.

5) Games: Just like music, there are better solutions than a 7-inch tablet to run mobile games -- especially if you are not getting the graphics horsepower of an iPad. Any smartphone can run Angry Birds.

6) Couch Surfing: This is where the Fire should do well. It sounds like the browser is a bit sluggish in the 1.0 release from the reviews, but one would hope that Amazon would work those things out.

So there you have it.... For $200 you can effectively do couch surfing and e-book reading. You can pay $79 more per year for movies that you can only access on WiFi (and hotel room WiFi is usually insufficient).

Personally, I think the Fire will sell like crazy this Christmas at that price. But I think it will be similar to the economy Android tablets that sold well last Christmas. The buyers will likely be less-than-delighted with their new toy.

Once Fire gets a modified version of Ice Cream Sandwich it should be improved -- give it a revision or two.

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I got my Kindle Fire today I must say (besides the dead pixel on the screen already, Amazon is sending me another one), it's a pretty decent device.

It's a bit heavy but fits well in my hands.

criminal

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
I see no reason to compare the Fire to the iPad. They are in completely different price segments. The Fire and the Nook Tablet will sell well and people like me that would never consider an iPad due to price, will never doubt their purchase.

FYI.. I have played with two different iPads extensively on two different occasions and never understood the "hype" surrounding them.

blipper

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland
man these reviews are a bit disappointing. I was really looking forward to getting mine in the mail tomorrow. I hope the rooting process comes out with in 30 days, before the return period is up on this.

I got mine first thing this morning. I think it's ok and I love the form factor, which is big, but not so big you can't easily hold it in the palm of one hand. I think it will replace the iPad as my first choice reader.

Some of the reviews quoted seem inaccurate but I have to look further and see if I'm misinterpreting their assertions.

----------

That quote that the Fire can do 80% of an iPad can do at 40% of the price is incorrect....

First off, the Fire costs $200, but if you want access to all that content you need an annual subscription to Amazon Prime at $79 per year.

Some of us already have Prime, so that's not really a new expense.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
So what will it be, Death by success, or Death by high expectations?

----------

This is a good case of selective evidence on the part of Macrumors. The majority of reviews I read today said positive things about the Kindle Fire 90% of the time (cnet, engadget, etc). It appears to meet expectations.

SoxFan23, read the reviews again.
Most of them mentioned "for the price (of $199)".
That alone says "you get what you pay for, set the bar really low".

Another thing a LOT of people OUTSIDE of MR said is:
"iPad Killer"

Yeup, plastered as headline grabbing text in many online pubs, Fire will kill the iPad!

nuff said.

----------

I see no reason to compare the Fire to the iPad. They are in completely different price segments. The Fire and the Nook Tablet will sell well and people like me that would never consider an iPad due to price, will never doubt their purchase.

FYI.. I have played with two different iPads extensively on two different occasions and never understood the "hype" surrounding them.

If only those editors trying to grab attention stop saying that!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
man these reviews are a bit disappointing. I was really looking forward to getting mine in the mail tomorrow. I hope the rooting process comes out with in 30 days, before the return period is up on this.

you need to remember Mac rumors pick and choose the negative lines out of them. They left out the positive parts of the review. The Verge one was the dead give away something was fishy since I have read those bloggers works from other sites and one of the guys who help get it all up and running that is not his style to bash things like that and the people who worked under him never really did it minus poking fun part.
So it was a give away something was missing and then I read it and found out that yes those quotes were in there but things were left out. Not the most glowing review but more honest.

People seem to expect iPad quality here is what is insane. Come on its a hell of a lot cheaper so yeah not going to be a good but for the price it is great.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Surprise! It's not an iPad. :eek:

What it is, is a $200 device that can do 80% of what an iPad can do at 40% of the price. Win Win situation all around for end users and for Amazon getting people on their ecosystem.

You're forgetting a very important number. The Kindle Fire is 50% of the size of an iPad.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
You know what, these reviews quoted aren't very accurate based on what I'm seeing, most buyers are very happy with their kindle fire, I don't think we should take these quotes seriously..

I understand it's not an iPad, but for that $200 price I think its a great tablet, and based on all the video reviews I've seen again most people have had a positive experience..

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
Now imagine an Apple product with those same problems, and see if reviewers would be even that gentle!

I still like the Kindle platform as a whole, though, and I wish I had a reason to get one of the super-light e-ink versions: I don’t like how dark the white e-ink “paper” is at present, but ther’e something cool about them all the same! (Instead, I’m reading a Kindle book on my iPad right now :) Thanks, Amazon!)

Cheap dedicated e-readers will have a market for a nice long time; same with digital cameras, music players, and other low-cost special-use gizmos. They don’t have to be an iPad: they do a job.

this is just what i was going to post

i agree with all of your points

----------

I love how you guys pick the ****** parts of the reviews.

Whoever wrote this is an obvious Apple fanboy and is butthurt that the iPad isn't an e-reader.

??

i use my ipad as an e-reader all the time

and i thought e-ink was the big selling point of the kindle devices--why did they switch to lcd screen? seems strange to me

----------

A bit disappointing based on those reviews.. I had high expectations, even though it's missing many features I kinda thought it would deliver in terms of performance, but If it's sluggish I don't think its worth investing $200 on..

You know even having used an iPad, I think the best tablet out there is the Playbook.. That is if you like the experience you find on a Laptop or Desktop, I'd say with confidence the Playbook is the only tablet that gives you closest experience to what you see on a desktop..

i think it's nice not having the "desktop experience" (most of the time)

just my 2 cents

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Well - it's not a flop yet. But we know what you mean. I guess it's only a 1.0 product - so I'm sure Amazon are aware of these flaws and will look to address them soon enough.

Having said that, though, they better get their skates on - especially if Apple will be revealing the 3rd generation iPad in the next few months...

RTP.

The original iPad was a 1.0 product and had none of these flaws and the software was very fluid.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
You naysayers have no idea what your talking about. Yes it's no ipad, but as an extremely portable mobile device, its awesome!

Send from my kindle fire

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.