Route - The optimal route calculator

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by maraneric, Jun 21, 2012.

1. maraneric macrumors newbie

Route is a great new tool for determining the optimal route between multiple destinations. The destinations can be added by address, contact info, current location, or by searching for surrounding businesses by name. It will work with up to 100 destinations, and displays the directions between each on the route. It is available for iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches.

The app is great for couriers, deliveries, running errands, and saving gas & time.

We just released an update that adds printing and emailing of calculated routes!

Features
    • Calculate optimal route between a series of addresses.
    • Displays the driving directions between each stop.
    • Displays the calculated route on the map.
    • View previously created routes.
    • Supports up to 100 destinations in a route.
    • Email the directions from a calculated route.
    • Print the directions from a calculated route.

Route overview on YouTube

Available in the App Store now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tknull macrumors regular

Question:
    Can you have the left column show the list of locations (in lieu of directions)... with a letter or number, corresponding to the pins on the map?

3. maraneric thread starter macrumors newbie

The left column can show the list of locations with numbers, but the pins on the map do not currently indicate which number they correspond to. That does sound like a great idea that I will consider adding to a future version of the app. Thanks!

4. Tknull macrumors regular

That would be good. For me, that is helpful. And the most important feature of all that i need, is the ability to create a list of favorites... locations that we go to often, that i can easily click to add to the route.

5. maraneric thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently working on the next revision, and the "list of favorites" feature is at the top of my list of what is being added. Thank you again for your feedback!

6. maraneric, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

maraneric thread starter macrumors newbie

v1.4 Update

http://www.surrenderedstudios.com/route

Route for iPhone and iPad has just released another major update. This update includes new features for frequent users and for businesses such as couriers and delivery people:

- Added ability to add previous destinations
    - Added favorite destinations
    - Added ability to add multiple addresses simultaneously
    - Added new help views
    - Fixed various bugs
    - Minor UI tweaks

[​IMG]

7. Tknull macrumors regular

good turnaround on that update.... i'll give it a try... and post any impressions i got!

8. Tknull macrumors regular

So i've created a route with the app, and overall i'm liking what i'm seeing. Here are my thoughts:

1) Routing seems to work great, and its easy to pick start/stop points

2) Still would like to see the pins either have a letter or number to correspond with the route stops listed in the left column.

3) Would like to see an easy way to clear the route and start over. Unless i'm missing it... it appears i have to select each pin and delete.

4) I absolutely love that you can pinch to zoom in and out on the map as you wish. Google maps, when trying to map multiple locations, only zooms in and out in large increments... sometimes resulting in the map being too small, because the next larger increment slightly does not fit on screen.

5) While viewing the map, and having the left pane show the stops and not the directions, you have no idea what the route distance and total time is. It would be nice if at the bottom of the larger map window showed that info, regardless of what you do in the other pane.

6) Printing options need to be expanded. It only prints the turn-by-turn written directions. I'd rather it prints the map, and the stops. So the ability to print whatever you are currently viewing in the program is idea. (so i just did a screenshot grab, and printed that image).

7) When viewing the list of past deliveries... I assume selecting the star makes it a favorite. A great next step would be the option to filter list to show only those favorites....

Thats it for now i suppose :)

9. maraneric thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the feedback. I am definitely going to take these considerations when working on the next update. I am thinking of doing an overhaul on the iPad UI since it is currently just the iPhone version with a few iPad specific components. I will also work on the usability since that is an area for improvement. Thank you again!