Router Advice - Both MBP and Torrent friendly...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BullMooseFilms, Aug 11, 2008.

1. BullMooseFilms macrumors regular

I'm looking for a wireless router that will play nicely with a MBP and torrent downloads, and after the problems I had with my last netgear (I am comfortable configuring it and all, but I got tired of it not working for seemingly no reason, so I just got rid of it) I'm wary, but I'm going to need SOMETHING so I'm not internetless on the laptop at home...

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme (g or n) would work just fine for what you want.

TEG

3. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

And it's also $159... There has to be one of the $50-$80 routers around that would do the trick as well?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The airport express (802.11a/b/g) is $80 at my local electronics store. But if you want N, you could try the $100 airport express, with N.

5. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Does the airport line play well with Vista? The router is going to be connected to my Vista machine, and I'd like to have it already set up when I get the MBP. Maybe this is a dumb question...

6. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Any one of the popular brands of routers should play nice with all your OS's. I personally use Belkin and find it ok for the most part. I have friends using Linksys and Buffalo routers which are flashed with custom firmware and they seem to like it.

7. Trip.Tucker Guest

Netgear or Belkin.

Odd issues with some of the Linksys WRT models and reported poor performance with D-Link.

8. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice

ended up with the Belkin N1 Vision - it was on sale for $120 (list $200 - I'm a sucker for a good deal) at Circuit City this week and I couldn't resist the pretty looks and the screen. My biggest problem with the Netgear I had 2 years ago was that I couldn't get in to configure it sometimes if it wasn't talking to the computer, with this one you have a separate interface.

Now lets just hope it plays nice. If I disappear for a while you'll know it's fail.

9. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Up and running, amazing - plug and play for realz.

I just had to go into the setup page to flip on UPnP and eMule is working totally unrestricted without even setting the ports up, same with uTorrent.

And I'm a sucker for info screens - half the reason I wanted my Prius...