Router advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Corrosive vinyl, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I just picked up a router on sale from monoprice, this one here and I can't get it to be reliable. Everything works until there are multiple wireless devices connected. It drops connections and buffers netflix more than my old trusty wrt54g.

Has anyone had experiences with monoprice routers, and is the next model up here worth exchanging the one we just bought? If not, is there a solid router of comparable price I could get to replace my 'too good to be true' router?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

You might want to look over router reviews at Small Netbuilder. They have very thorough reviews as well as some recommendations.

3. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

thanks for the link. I tried there but I don't see information on monoprice routers. I have a sinking feeling I won't be able to get any information and updates on the router moving forward.

I was looking at the asus rt-n56u, but it is pricey at ~$100 even though it's a few years old. Would it be worth biting the bullet? I was wondering if upgrading to the gigabit version of mine would help with my disconnect with multiple connections issue or just switching to a different brand at $50-70 would be the better option.

4. KillaMac Suspended

I had the asus and nothing but issues with it. Now I have a netgear r6300 and it has been the best one so far and strong wireless.

5. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

AirPort Extreme? I got fed up with cheap wireless routers and bought an AirPort Extreme. It's a lot more money, but if it doesn't just stop working after two years like several other routers I've had, it'll be worth it. I told an IT friend of mine this and he said he did the same thing. I found this particularly interesting as he's quite critical of Apple products, especially when it comes to cost.

I've heard about and seen Airport Express failures. I'm not sure if the current model is more reliable or not. Honestly, I can't tell why a device with no moving parts fails.

BTW, for the same price as the AirPort Extreme you can get a 2TB Time Capsule refurb.