Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pelachrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I'm out there hunting a router...

I'm looking to spend up to about $75
This is for a small home network

here's what I'm mainly looking for:
-good security
-secure and dependable VPN access
-possibly a USB print server built in (what is your experience with these though, is it worth having?)

Any personal experiences, recommendations, thoughts?

Thanks

pelachrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
wrc fan said:
Do you mean incoming vpn access to your LAN? If so, that's gonna cost more than $75. It's probably gonna be more like $175.

are you sure...? is there a difference between incoming and outgoing VPN?. Specs are usually not specific but I've found routers with VPN for $50

Houmidity

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm using a Netgear WGR614 v4 and it works great. I'm not sure about the VPN because I've never used it, but I believe it has a configuration for passthrough.

But security is excellent, range is excellent.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
pelachrum said:
are you sure...? is there a difference between incoming and outgoing VPN?. Specs are usually not specific but I've found routers with VPN for $50
Yes, most routers have VPN passthru (meaning outgoing support), so if you just want to be able to access your company's VPN from home then the $50 router is fine. But if you want to access your LAN when you're not home then you would need the more expensive router or you would have to have a computer set up on the DMZ to be the vpn server. So that is why I asked which you meant.

pelachrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
mmmmm... I see, said the blind man

all right then, thanks for the info. Any thoughts on the print server functions?

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
If your printer has an ethernet connection you are set with the router. If not you could see if the printer manufacturer offers a solution (for HP this ws always jet direct) or just set it up on one workstation that is always on like a fileserver. I use linksys at home and can connect through to VPN with no issues...if this is just a small home network you are good with your price range unless the printer / server option gets too pricey.

pelachrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
ziwi said:
If your printer has an ethernet connection you are set with the router. If not you could see if the printer manufacturer offers a solution (for HP this ws always jet direct) or just set it up on one workstation that is always on like a fileserver.

The printer is HP LaserJet 1012, it's not a network printer and ideally I'd like to have it independant of any machine (that's why I'm looking into the print server on the router option). What is "jet direct" about exactly?

ziwi said:
I use linksys at home and can connect through to VPN with no issues...if this is just a small home network you are good with your price range unless the printer / server option gets too pricey.

so you're VPN conecting from outside of your network to your LAN? or going out to some VPN server out there?

pelachrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
gost8go said:
I just bought the Belkin Pre-N for ~$99 on amazon. It had the best reviews on cnet, mainly for range and signal strength and I will confirm, it is wayy better than the netgear I upgraded from.

this buffalo seems to have vpn...http://reviews.cnet.com/Buffalo_AirStation_WZR_RSG54/4512-3319_7-31215455.html

$95+

wow, this thing is a gem in a plastic box... I will read more on it but something to consider yeah. what kind of reputation this brand has, do you know?

also, do you guys think investing in 1000Mbps routers is a smart choice at this point in time?

pelachrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I don't see that many 1Gbps units out there, within reasonable price range for home office usage...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.