router: airport extreme or d link!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by edga, Oct 19, 2008.

1. edga macrumors newbie

I'm gonna buy one of these 3 routers: airport extreme or d link 655 or 825, but i need help with a few things!!
    Got a Macbook Pro and ipod touch and emac (this one will be connected thought ethernet), if i get the airport extreme will i get n speeds or its gonna default to the ipod connection speed (b/g)?, do i get the d link 825 for dual band so i can use both without losing speed?, eventually i will change the emac for an iMac (with n enabled speed).
    Love apple to dead but money wise the d link routers are cheaper ... any advantage of going d link or apple? if d link any preference: 655 or 825?
    I apologize if this has been already ask!!

2. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Go with the Airport

Hi,

I have recently bought a Time Capsule (Basically an AirPort extreme with a built in HD) and have to say it's fantastic.

So, answering your questions....

With any router, if you are receiving N speeds through your broadband provider, and have a 802.11 N enabled router, but allow b or g devices to connect to you network (iPod touch and eMac) this will slow down your connection.

Now, for money, I know Apple's AirPort devices are not cheap (I paid £200 for mine!) but they do pack in some more features. With the AirPort extreme, you can connect a USB hub to it, and wirelessly share multiple USB hard drives. You can also set-up wireless printing, by just inserting a USB printer!

If you have Leopard on your MacBook Pro or any other Mac, you can also use the hard drive connected to your AirPort extreme as a back-up drive for Time Machine, and once you get your iMac, you can use the same drive for back-up's of both machines.

Hopefully this will help you!!

3. edga thread starter macrumors newbie

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Buy Apple stuff specifically if you want the extra functions - printer and hard drive connections. Buy the cheaper models otherwise.
    I use netgear, and a cousin two blocks away uses Linksys (I help set up). We both have network printers that don't need Airport Extreme. We're both completely satisfied with routers that cost $40-50.