Router and Switch Problem

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChadBrommer, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

Oh, so here is the deal. I just bought a Netgear FS116 16 port switch. I am trying to use it and I am at a loss. I was under the assumption that a single uplink and I could hook 15 devices up to it. I've tried plugging in straight and I've tried hooking the switch up to a router. No luck! Any ideas?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It should work; I have the same switch… does your DHCP server/router have a limit to the number of IP addresses it can assign?

3. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

See, that's just it, I don't know. I'm in college. I do not know how many they allow. I don't think they would cap it though. The only way it works is if I plug the uplink into the switch, then to a router, then to a computer, but that defeats the whole purpose of the switch.

4. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

You might want to contact the IT help desk and see if they allow a switch to be placed in the dorms (if you live in a dorm, I assume you do since you mentioned you are in college ).

At my school, if you hook up an unauthorized external routing device, the IT Dept sends a DDOS attack against it.

5. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I don't think that's the case...I already have 1 other switch hooked up in the room...
    It's a Linksys 10/100 workgroup switch.

6. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

How many devices do you have connected to the Linksys switch? With some versions of port security, you can limit the number of devices connected to a switchport. I know Cisco switches can do that. You may already be at the limit for your ports, and hooking up the other switch pushes you over the limit.

You may want to try disconnecting the Linksys, and try the Netgear by itself.

BTW: a 16 port switch? Wow, are you trying to run a server farm or something? :) I thought I was bad, but I only have about 6 things hooked up on my switch.

8. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

Nah, no server farm. My I have a PS3, 360, Wii with Lan adaptor, and two laptops. My roomie has a laptop and a 360. Plus I have a few other things I want to do with it. The 5 and 8 were too small so I had to go 16.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Contact your college's IT department, they probably limit the number of devices you can have on the port in your room. I know when I worked in my university's IT department, we limited it (I forgot what the limit was) and would increase it if you had a good reason.

10. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Make a network map for us. What exactly is the switch hooked up to?

What IP addresses are you devices receiving? If any?

I work for NETGEAR support :) That switch is unmanaged and has no DHCP btw

11. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

Well, it's not the devices that can not be connected because I replaced the old linksys switch with the new netgear and no dice when the old one easily worked. I have a cable plugged into the wall and straight from there it goes into the switch. From the switch it goes to Xbox's, Computers, etc. Idk, is it possibly defective? The devices are not receiving anything. No signal that it's connecting.

12. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Do the ports even light up?

What IP addresses are you getting?

13. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I'm not getting anything... and they all light up constantly as being 100mbps.

14. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Well the cabling is probably fine then, but you don't get an IP address on any machines? What do you get on your mac? Should at least be a 169.***.***.*** number (even if the switch isn't passing any traffic).

15. fn-gm macrumors newbie

fn-gm

Could be many things...

Is the switch brand new? It could be that there is some configurations in the switch that need changing.

16. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

It's un-managed. I promise you can't make any configuration changes on it :)

17. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

It's saying cable not connected, but it definitely is.

18. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I'd say if you've tried another cable already, then you may have a dud. Although it is odd the port lights up on the device...

Personally, I have a GS108 that I've been very happy with so far. (gigabit speeds :))

19. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I'd say it's a dud too, but if I run the uplink into the switch then a patch to a router, it at least gives me an ip. I can't transfer data, but I get an ip.

20. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Here is how you should hook it all up:

1. Hook up you router as you normally would. Make sure you can get online when hooked up to it directly.

2. Then hook up the FS116 with an ethernet cable to the router.

3. Hook up all other devices to the FS116.

Many times a router is needed to provide NAT and DHCP. This switch is designed to basically add ports to an existing infrastructure.

21. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I think there is something messed up with my school's network. The router by itself doesn't even work.

22. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

In that case, they probably block NAT somehow from their end. Call your school's IT dept

23. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I just don't understand why one of my switches does work.

24. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Perhaps it is managed and has some settings put in that we're all unaware of. I'd still give the IT dept a ring