Router connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ExigeR, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ExigeR macrumors newbie

Hi just got a new MacBook Pro the other day and got it all set up and running fine, last night the internet connection failed and now everytime i enter the password it says invalid password. The thing is my pc works fine :(

The router is a 3 year old Edimax

This is my first Mac so any help would be great.

2. tpg macrumors regular

Are you connecting to your router via wireless with your mbp? Are you connecting via wireless or with an ethernet cable with the PC?

When you say the internet connection failed, did the internet go down, or can you just not connect to the router with your laptop?

Sorry for all the questions, but need some more info to figure out what's going on!

3. ExigeR thread starter macrumors newbie

The connection just went down as i was using the net, also it is connected wireless.

My other laptop (pc) works fine as does my main pc hard wired.

Hope thats a bit more help :)

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

This happens to me everynow and again. I turn of Airport for a few mins and that normally sorts it.

5. tpg macrumors regular

I used to have those kinds of issues when using WPA encryption, although a software upgrade fixed that.

Could it be that the signal isn't strong enough? The aluminium case of the mbp has been known to attenuate wireless signal. You could eliminate this possibility by trying your mbp quite close to the router.

6. ExigeR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, to start with i reset the router and disconnected the power but that didn't work so i left it unplugged for the last 15 mins or so and now all seems good again :)

As i said at the start my router is about 3 years old now is it worth upgrading to a new Airport N router ??? will there be much of a range/signal strength performance gain.

7. tpg macrumors regular

I wouldn't pay over the odds for a wireless N router. The specification is technically still in draft, so it could change, and the boost in speed won't be noticed unless you have a seriously fast internet connection, or you copy files between computers on your network.

Belkin, Netgear and other such companies make pretty decent routers & modem/routers, so upgrading to one of their offerings might be worthwhile. You will probably get a decent range boost from any of their current mid-level offerings.