router crashes upon video commercials

Discussion in 'macOS' started by havenly007, May 20, 2009.

1. havenly007 macrumors newbie

Hopefully someone here can help me. Every time I attempt to watch a video on a network site (e.g., Hulu, NBC, etc.) my wireless router (Netgear WGT624 v2) crashes a few seconds into the commercial and I have to reset it (unplug it and then plug it back in). It also occurs when I try to download a semi-large file (e.g., software update). This all started when I installed Safari Adblock Plus, but I have since removed it and am still having the same problem. I am not sure if the Safari Adblock is at fault for my commercial induced router crashes or whether it is just a coincidence. I have read many forums trying to fix this problem all to no avail. Here are the facts and the things I have done to try and fix it.

Facts:
    * This problem (wireless router crashing) does not occur when my computer (macbook pro - 1st gen I think) is connected to the router via the ethernet cord
    * This problem does not occur on a PC laptop that is connected wirelessly nor on another PC that is connected via ethernet
    * My router is not encrypted

Attempt to fix it:
    * repaired permissions
    * virus scan
    * Emptied Cache in safari
    * software updated (Mac OS X 10.5.7 leopard; Safari 4)
    * PRAM (option, apple, R, P) like 5 times - the first time I did the PRAM it DID fix another issue I was having (Safari and Firefox frequenly freezing); but it did not fix the router crashing issue
    * I am not blocking pop-ups, and am accepting all cookies - again to no avail.

So, those are the facts Jacks! Any assistance you can provide is sooooooo appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

run network diagnostics and post a picture here so we can help you please

Attached Files:

3. havenly007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the network diagnostic and everything seemed fine. I have uploaded the screen shot anyway. However, I ran the network diagnostics when I was not watching a video...I'll try rerunning it during a video commercial.

Attached Files:

4. havenly007 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I ran the network diagnostics after the router crashed... all I had to do to make it crash was attempt to watch a commercial on Hulu. I took a screen shot of the diagnostic page that said the computer was unable to join the network. But, it makes sense that the comp was unable to join the network because the router crashed. Another computer (a PC) that is connected via ethernet to this router also loses signal...so it doesn't only lose its wireless signal. After it crashes I have to reset the router (unplug and replug it in) and the wireless comes back on.

Attached Files:

5. havenly007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I should note: the other comp (the PC) that is connected to the router via ethernet does not have the commercial induced router crash problem. I can watch Hulu shows (and the commercials) on the PC (and another laptop PC) without crashing the router. It seems to only happen with the Mac.

6. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Do you have the latest firmware on the router?

7. havenly007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup...I tried updating it, but it said I already had the most current update.

8. havenly007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the screenshot of what I received when I tried to update the firmware

Attached Files:

9. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Do you have another user account on the computer that is having this problem?

Just to see if it is system wide or user specific.

10. havenly007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am the only one who uses this computer and there is only one account setup on the computer

11. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Just try setting up a new standard account (system Pref ->Accounts -> Unlock -> Plus button )

Doesnt have to be admin. This will create all new prefs and clean library files.

Log into this new account, and see if the problem is there also. If it is, it is system wide , and possible related to OS. Otherwise it is account specific, and will narrow down where the problem is.

12. havenly007 thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems to be system wide. The hulu commercial crashed the router on the test account as well.

13. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

><

That's a pity. If it was just the streams, maybe it was something wrong with a codec or something, but you said you were having problems with large files also? And the fact it crashes the router is ... odd.

Is there anything in the logs in the router? (not familiar with NG)

Also, try turning off IPv6 on the Airport Card on the Mac.

14. havenly007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I turned off the IPv6 and that doesn't seem to help either. I tried looking at the router logs to see what it says when I try to watch Hulu or download software updates...but these cause the router to crash and the logs reset so that I cannot read what made it occur. I only somewhat computer savvy and this issue has me perplexed and frustrated. My AppleCare warranty ended in April (just before this started to occur) so I will have to pay for a phone call, but that is starting to look like the best option.

But, please please let me know if you can think of anything else I can try.

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If you haven't already fixed it I hope this can help.
    It could very well be an ISP issue.

I was having a similar problem - whenever I started large downloads or streaming video, I would lose my connection and the router would reset itself.
    Rarely with a wired connection but w¡thin a minute or two of trying it wirelessly.

After a month on the phone, and numerous technicians coming to my house (the first three telling me the problem was outside my house, the middle ones agreeing, and the last ones actually doing something about it) they realized that the downstream and upstream power into my house were fluctuating greatly and they had to repair some connections going into my house and at the box across the street. Problem solved.

I'd check out dslreoprts.com - they have lots of information, online diagnostics and ways to get in touch with your ISP (if it's a large national one). It's free and I'd bet money on your internet connection over the airport card in your computer.

16. msbehav macrumors newbie

me too

I've had this problem forever. I am searching for answers this morning because it is making me crazy. My imac crashes almost predictably when I'm a website that includes video (not usually youtube, but trailers etc.) or, it seems, anything other than text. I have to reset the router by unplugging and plugging - this happens maybe 4 x per hour depending on what I'm doing. It's just maddening. Please help :eek:

Ilana

17. havenly007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info Killerrobot, but it turned out not to be my ISP. We have 3 computers in our house, one Macbook, a PC desktop and a PC laptop. The problem only seemed to be occurring with the Macbook and it wouldn't cut out the internet modem, just the wireless router. After searching dozens of posts I found that it was likely that my router was shot. It was a Netgear wireless g that was at least four years (maybe even five) old. So I splurged and bought a Time Capsule, which totally fixed my problem. I don't think you (Ilana) need to buy a Time Capsule or even an Airport Extreme (or Express), but if your symptoms were like mine it is likely that you need a new router.

18. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Glad to know you got it fixed.

Wished my problem a while back would've just been fixed with a new router.:)

@msbehav
    As havenly007 stated, it's most likely a router issue or an ISP issue.
    Swap out the router if you can, and if that doesn't help, follow up with your ISP.
    Best of luck.