Router dropping wireless when backing up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tommy060289, Jul 8, 2011.

1. tommy060289 macrumors regular

Hey Everyone, I have an iMac wirelessly linked to a Belkin Wireless hub and whenever time machine starts backing up (even small amounts) the wireless signal drops before having to be reconnected.

This is the log I got from the Widgit and the only thing of note is in the last few lines saying error:

Starting standard backup
    Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://WD_Backup@MyBookWorld.local/WD_Backup
    Mounted network destination using URL: afp://WD_Backup@MyBookWorld.local/WD_Backup
    Warning: Destination /Volumes/WD_Backup does not support TM Lock Stealing
    Warning: Destination /Volumes/WD_Backup does not support Server Reply Cache
    QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN
    Disk image /Volumes/WD_Backup/Tom's iMac.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups
    Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb
    No pre-backup thinning needed: 695.3 MB requested (including padding), 774.17 GB available
    Copied 182 files (3 KB) from volume SSD.
    Copied 185 files (3 KB) from volume HDD.
    No pre-backup thinning needed: 695.3 MB requested (including padding), 774.17 GB available
    Stopping backupd to allow ejection of backup destination disk!
    Error: Flushing index to disk returned an error: 0
    Copied 33 files (125 bytes) from volume SSD.

The iMac worked fine before and I used to have this problem wiht my macbook pro when it was linked to the BT home hub but switching to the Belkin router seemed to fix this.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Tom

2. tommy060289 thread starter macrumors regular

after a bit more research it appears it is doing it under any network load. I just tried to copy my music folder (20GB) to the shared music on my NAS and the network dropped pretty much instantly and yet if I bring my macbook por in to the same room it only gets about 25% signal (as opposed to about 40%) of the imac and it will copy the same music folder to the NAS no problem. Why is the network kicking my imac off:(

3. tommy060289 thread starter macrumors regular

right, ive fixed the problem by doing a complete reset of my router but im not sure what feature was causing the issue.

My guess is it's either the QoS profile or the static IP possibly affecting it. Ill let you know if I find anything out!