Router equal sharing. :(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iLao, Dec 17, 2008.

1. iLao macrumors member

iLao

Hello...

Is it possible to set the router to share the speed equaly to other computers curently connected to the internet?

For example: I have 4mb internet and the max. download speed is 500kb/s...so if there would be two computers connected, they would each use 250kb/s and if three they would each use 166 kb/s.

If an additional information is needed i will be happy to tell you.(router type, blabla...)

2. jamin100 macrumors 6502

All depends on your router. What make / model is it

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, why not just post this information instead of wasting the time to say you'll provide it on request? :p

FWIW, there are a few different names for doing this -- one of the more common ones is "bandwidth metering." So if you google your router make and that term, you might find some useful information.

4. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

If you have a router than can use it, DD-WRT is an excellent alternative firmware. It has a nice QoS setting so you can set limits.

Here's a quote from the QoS setup page on my router:

Uplink:
    Set this to 80%-95% (max) of your total upload limit.

Downlink:
    Set this to 80%-100% (max) of your total download limit.

Services Priority:
    You may control your data rate with respect to the application that is consuming bandwidth.

Netmask Priority:
    You may specify priority for all traffic from a given IP address or IP Range.

MAC Priority:
    You may specify priority for all traffic from a device on your network by giving the device a Device Name, specifying priority and entering its MAC address.

Ethernet Port Priority:
    You may control your data rate according to which physical LAN port your device is plugged into. You may assign Priorities accordingly for devices connected on LAN ports 1 through 4.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What you want, as other posters mentioned, is QoS (Quality of Service) settings. How you configure these depends on the router and firmware version, but many routers have a web interface you can use in any web browser to configure their settings. To access the web interface for a Linksys router with default settings, point your browser to http://192.168.1.1/ - if you did it right you should get a login prompt. Once you log in (using the default password in your router's manual), you'll see an overview of all the things you can configure. (Note: This is just an example, and only applies to Linksys routers, but other routers are similar to this in general.)

6. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

thank you all for helping....

I was searching on the internet for my router specifications, but found only this: http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cach...r&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&lr=lang_en&client=safari

NOTE: I have ISKRATEL sinope568+, the one in the link is sinope568+2B. So that one is better. But if that one can support what i want, than my cant either.

Is there is a specific information you need?

If my router isnt supporting this, is there a router that can, and that i can buy it for a resonable price?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

A quick Google search yielded this - which wasn't too helpful to me, as I don't understand the language those sites are in.

8. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

Hello

I found that my router has QoS, but I got the info on a forum, so I hope its true.

So now all I have to do is to set up this on my routers setup website. Right? I found this in some manual: http://192.168.1.1. It wants username and password which probably my dad knows. Now I will wait for my dad...

Okay, does this smell right?

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, this looks correct. 192.168.1.1 is a local network address.

10. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

Eh, I just accessed the setup page, but found out that my router doesn't have a QoS...I'm not really surprised, because it's very ****** and cheap.lol;)

So now I am thinking of buying a new one, but haven't decided yet. I would buy Airport extreme, but it has no QoS which I really need.(if it really does the trick I want). Suggestions are appreciated.

One more thing:
    1. Do all routers that have QoS support this. Are some very limited? Is QoS in all routers the same?
    2. I forgot to mention that two computers are in wireless connection.(the other two are wired) Does that make a difference?

Thank you all

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1. Generally speaking, yes - that's the definition of QoS support.
    2. No, it does not make a difference.

12. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

Hi,

I have decided to buy a new router...

So, I was looking which one is good and I found Linksys WRT54GL.
    I will be using tomato firmware.

What do you think, is the router good, will it do the QoS thingy?

Thank you

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have that one, it does have QoS support.

14. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

Hi!!!!

I have finally bought WRT54GL and installed Tomato(1.23) on it. Now the only thing to do is to set up QoS! YAY.

Becouse i don't know anything about it, i will need some help with it. I need it too do the thing I described in my first post.
    This is my QoS setup page:
    - http://www.shrani.si/f/1E/TC/2FESqNcL/picture-2.pdf
    - http://www.shrani.si/f/1O/mW/3FCXktAP/picture-3.pdf

Also, I have googled it and didn't found a setup that I like, maybe becuse I don't understand them.

p.s.: What should i put down in max outbound and inbound bandwidth? What ISP states, or should I run bandwidth test?(I think it's normally a bit lower)

Thank you very, very much for your help.!.!.!

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hello! So glad to hear you got a router with QoS support! As for the settings, the defaults look good but you might need to tweak the max outbound and inbound bandwidth. You definitely don't want these too much higher than what your connection supports, but I'd say what your ISP reports is a safe value to use.

16. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

Just one final question,

Is inbound the same as receive, and outbound same as transmit?

I'm asking you this because I was looking for what my in/outbound is, and remembered that they are in my modem setup page. but it says transmit(448kbps) and receive(4544kbps). Is this what should I put down in qos settings?

Oh, and thank you wrldwzrd89, you helped me so much!

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Transmit = outbound and receive = inbound. Those are indeed the values to use.

18. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

Hi,

Just wanted to tell that everything is working very good. QoS is working great! No problems at all. Also, the router(linksys wrt54gl) is very good, also no problems.

Thank you very much for helping me, especially wrldwzrd89!;) I have learned so much!:)

Jon