Router for ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ygate, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ygate macrumors newbie

Hi

I am looking to buy a router that works nicely with the ipad, can anyone tell me what works for him and what didn't
    I a looking at Dlink dir-655

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apparently the iPad has problems with non-Apple routers. You should get an Apple router if you want to reduce the chance of issues.

3. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Router

My wife and I have Ipads and we used a Linksys WRT 54G router. Worked fine. Decided to get a router that was "N" capable. Got the Apple router and it works great and really moved things along. I would go Apple if money isn't a big question. Easy to set up.

4. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I use the Sprint Overdrive broadband wireless router. It is a portable WiFi hotspot with a 4G connection to Sprint's wireless 4G broadband network. And it also works on their 3G network if you don't have 4G coverage in your town.

For my hardwired internet (Comcast 50Mbps cable), I use the Apple AirPort Extreme base station.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I've had ZERO issues with my LinkSys router which I've owned for several years.

6. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

I have not encountered the WiFi issues with my netgear 3300 dual band Wireless N router.

Newegg typically has them refurbed for like 40 bucks.

7. Nash Bridges macrumors regular

Nash Bridges

I would recommend an Apple unit. In the event that you do have an WiFi issue you could bring both the router and the iPad to the Apple Geniuses and let them resolve it.

8. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Any router should be fine. My iPad works flawlessly at home with my DIR-655 actually. :)

We have a DSL circuit at my office with a DIR-655 as well and works fine there too.

9. ygate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help

I don't live in the US, I am from Dubai, My family visited the US for work and bought one for me
    We don't have apple stores here either but I think I can find apple routers
    still I would prefer dlink

Thanks for the help again

10. Spudracer macrumors 6502

I had an Apple Airport extreme N router for two years before I replaced it about 7 months ago with a 1TB Apple Time Capsule which has dual G and N radios. If you have older G devices on your network, they have their own wireless pipe and don't interfere with N traffic. Both Apple routers have been flawless. They just work. All the time. My older DLink router needed rebooting about once a week. I've followed all the trouble people are having with the iPad and wireless connectivity but I simply can't relate to their problems. My iPad is completely reliable and blazing fast on my Apple network and shares bandwidth nicely with an iMac, Macbook Pro, XBox, and PS3, and an old HP laptop. Go with Apple if you can get it in Dubai.

11. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I have a Dlink "N" router and have had no problems at all. It's the dual band that causes the problem when they have the same password. If you have "G" and "N" on your router setup two different passwords and you won't have problems.

12. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

Same here.